Week 1 Updates

Iceman2553

If ya'll want to see a finish. Flip over to NFHS and watch Central of Woodstock vs Riverheads in the final 1.5 minutes.  Central is down 7-0 and has the ball at their own 16 yard line.  Central drives the length of the field in about 1.5 minutes and scores to make it 7 to 6 with under 10 seconds left in the game.  Central is going to kick the extra point and take it to overtime, right?  Nope, the Sons of Bitches go for 2 and the get it!!  Won it 8-7

12 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Bluefield will get to see some real power football when the Spartans arrive at Mitchell later in the season…. Kidding, after what I watched tonight I think Giles would’ve been better off playing North Cross again…

Our AD is clueless

29 minutes ago, Wolf1207 said:

They are the best two teams west of I-77.  That’s as far as I’d go now.  Class 2 has some good teams in va,  But I’ll say Graham is the favorite.  

I seriously underestimated Bluefield based on their scrimmages.  Both teams have a lot to clean up.  If I see another yellow flag and hear the ref say "Illegal formation" one more time this season, I'm gonna lose my mind.  I bet each team had 15 penalties tonight.  The qb-center exchange for both teams needs fixed and the tackling for Graham has to get better. Good news is it is early and there is a ton of potential for the G men and I'm sure the coaches will get them where they need to be.  A win is a win, no matter how ugly.   Good sign for Graham was Clements putting some weight on his knee on the sideline after he got hurt. 

9 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Radford 42

GW 7

GW must be down or Radford is just really good. Either way I feel Giles beats GW and Radford beats Giles by 14-20 points. Giles has to play Bluefield also and that will not be pretty. Bluefield will most likely win by 30+. 

2 minutes ago, nrv_football said:

GW must be down or Radford is just really good. Either way I feel Giles beats GW and Radford beats Giles by 14-20 points. Giles has to play Bluefield also and that will not be pretty. Bluefield will most likely win by 30+. 

GW definitely lost some key players I think primary on the offensive/defensive line. Radford lost a few skill players as well but seem to have just reloaded. I’m hoping Giles puts up a fight next week against the Bobcats. Anyone know why GW had to sit on the home side with Radford? I feel like their fans aren’t going to enjoy having a train horn right next to them next week. 

1 minute ago, nrv_football said:

Radford will beat us and beat us by a pretty good margin, but one thing that helps regarding that matchup compared to Bluefield.  Radford likes to put it in the air and they aren't heavy ground and pound.  That matchup favors our strengths with our guys in the defensive backfield that are pretty athletic.  We ain't winning, but what I'm getting at is....the Bluefield matchup is a bad one for us.  They are freaking huge, strong, and athletic on the line of scrimmage and against us with our limited depth on the LOS, it's just a bad matchup.  I think the Radford score is closer in margin of victory than the Bluefield score.  We will move the ball some on Radford.  I don't think we are going to move it much on Bluefield.

I thought Bluefield was better on the LOS. Graham is still a penalty machine too, but a win is a win. Graham had to punt 3 times inside their own 5 yard line because of penalties, and the third punt attempt sailed over the punters head for a safety. Best call of the night was the QB end around keeper on 3rd down to pick up a huge first that just about sealed the game. Worst call of the night was the pass interference call on Graham.....wow, that was horrific. Not even sure how they even remotely call that on Graham. Very sloppy game where both teams tried to give it away, but I thought Graham tried a little harder to give it away but still came out on top (fumble inside the BHS 5 yard line, punt snap over the punters head for a safety, WR running wide open and ball hit him in the bread basket and dropped a sure TD, fumbles, 17,000 penalties, blocked FG on a chip shot). Seems like at the end of the game Graham was down to their 4th running back (Clements out, Floyd out, the big kid who ran down to near the goal line at the end of the game went down). I would have sworn Clements was probably out for the year, but he was out there walking around with just a slight limp at the end of the game. Both teams need a ton of work, but both teams are pretty darn talented too. This was the biggest Graham team I've seen in quite a while.

20 minutes ago, RichRich said:

According to wcyb  DB 14 Greenville 14 final. How does that happen?

Kingsport Times reports "With 2:39 remaining in the third quarter and the score tied at 14, officials ordered both teams and spectators to take shelter. The decision came at 9:34 p.m., and the lightning did not let up. Officials called the game just over an hour later.

At press time, Dobyns-Bennett administrators were awaiting word from the TSSAA on whether the game would be considered a no-contest or a tie. A tie would be Dobyns-Bennett’s first since 1968 and Greeneville’s first since 1972."

A final note on an otherwise sloppy ugly game, a bright spot was the one handed catch by Blake Graham in the end zone. That was spectacular! Graham’s QB has an arm. Much work to do but hoping the coaches can get the best out this team. I said they need to prove themselves every game and I can’t say they’ve proved a lot tonight but there’s great potential for sure! 

For the first time in history, Graham has beaten Bluefield for the 3rd consecutive time. It’s time for the Simon’s to go. Players have left Bluefield to cross the border and go to Graham and old Bluefield greats have their sons at Graham. There has been zero innovation in Bluefield and the Simon’s have taken for granted the athletes they get year after year. Even in WV, they may be competitive, but the Fairmonts and Bridgeports have passed them up

12 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

A final note on an otherwise sloppy ugly game, a bright spot was the one handed catch by Blake Graham in the end zone. That was spectacular! Graham’s QB has an arm. Much work to do but hoping the coaches can get the best out this team. I said they need to prove themselves every game and I can’t say they’ve proved a lot tonight but there’s great potential for sure! 

They TD catch wasn’t one handed. If you go back and watch it you’ll see he high points it and catches it with both hands and gets his feet in. Awesome catch.

10 minutes ago, EH31 said:

They TD catch wasn’t one handed. If you go back and watch it you’ll see he high points it and catches it with both hands and gets his feet in. Awesome catch.

From my vantage point which wasn’t the greatest it looked one handed but either way, spectacular catch even with two hands. 

Fort Chiswell 14 Rural Retreat 12.  Rural Retreat had plenty of opportunities to win and just wet the bed.  Missed extra point.  Dumb play calls on the goalline Cant get in the endzone in 2ND QTR when u got it on the 1 yard line.  Shotgun teams have to be able to line up under center for quarterback sneaks...We just kept handing the ball off 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage with linebackers blitzing the gaps tackling us which caused us not to get in.  Dropped pass at end of game killed us as well as the receiver running the route a yard too short on 4TH and 3 and only got 2 yards.  Flooky play of the game was opening kickoff everyone goes in to tackle player it was kicked too ball pops out right to fort chiswells best player who then went untouched to the house BC nobody was near him.  Rural better turn it around if they want to make playoffs which they didn't last year.  They needed this win BC they have a tough schedule.  Rural retreat has potential to be great the talent is there... Just wasn't there night and the ball didn't bounce there way... Literally.  Not having a kicker could hurt them in close games like this one.  Missed first extra point and apparently dont think we made an extra point vs Marion in scrimmage last week. This is not the reason they lost at all but refs for this game were terrible they ruled a fumble on a clear incomplete pass by Rural retreat our receiver never came close to possessing the football in fact bobbled it quite a few times and refs was literally 3 feet away.  I also thought when we were down 8 there wasn't any hurry by us to get the plays in quicker... I kept thinking hurry up we may not get the 2 point conversion lets go lets go.  Anyway Go Indians enough of my ranting lol

1 hour ago, BLU_BLU said:

For the first time in history, Graham has beaten Bluefield for the 3rd consecutive time. It’s time for the Simon’s to go. Players have left Bluefield to cross the border and go to Graham and old Bluefield greats have their sons at Graham. There has been zero innovation in Bluefield and the Simon’s have taken for granted the athletes they get year after year. Even in WV, they may be competitive, but the Fairmonts and Bridgeports have passed them up

Well that didn't take long......you have a Graham great on your staff and his son plays for your team. It goes both ways always has.