Tazewell at Marion

THS6805

I believe that Jack Ginn's dumba** onside kicks, poor offensive calls, and tendency to place the defense in bad field position will likely be present in the game. While I do think Marion has the talent to compete with Tazewell, I know that Ginn will not utilize it effectively, as he has done throughout his time as coach. When you tell your team football is not supposed to be fun why in the hell would high school boys want to play anymore? There is no way anyone can come to this man's defense as to what he has done with this program. Here's to hoping each team has an injury-free game. 

The Dawgs will:

-come out unfocused and trail inexplicably.

-take time and regain composure and momentum.

-rally the boys and score an epic victory 3 days later.

There -- fixed it for you. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, rjhall71 said:

I believe that Jack Ginn's dumba** onside kicks, poor offensive calls, and tendency to place the defense in bad field position will likely be present in the game. While I do think Marion has the talent to compete with Tazewell, I know that Ginn will not utilize it effectively, as he has done throughout his time as coach. When you tell your team football is not supposed to be fun why in the hell would high school boys want to play anymore? There is no way anyone can come to this man's defense as to what he has done with this program. Here's to hoping each team has an injury-free game. 

LOL I’m with you on everything you said man. Hey we just scored let’s kick an onsides kick and give them the ball around midfield nah forget that let’s kick an onsides kick every time we score a TD or FG and we aren’t going to have anyone back to receive a punt. This program is toast and it’s sad cause they have some talented kids 

More onside kicks in this games than all others combined! After seeing both teams play, gotta take the Dogs in this one. Unless Marion moves the big guy out to cover receivers, I don't see Marion doing anything to the Dogs' passing attack. But im sure someone will jump on me not saying anything about running the ball. Even Harris said it Friday night, like 8 different players touched the ball from a pass by Creasy. Not the traditional balance, but a new school of balance. 

Marion is pretty good with their front 4 on defense, but they are very slow in the secondary and that's not a good matchup with Tazewell's speedy WR's on the edge and a laser armed QB that can throw it.  I just think it's a bad matchup for Marion.  I think Tazewell will win big.  Marion will get some chunks on the ground running the ball, but Tazewell is going to score a lot of points.  One thing about Tazewell, better roll the QB away from Coe or get rid of the ball quick.  He's the kind of kid that can take your QB out of the game in a hurry, and I mean that legally, a clean hit.  He's a vicious player and explosive off the ball and he creates problems for any tackle trying to block him.  

12 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Marion is pretty good with their front 4 on defense, but they are very slow in the secondary and that's not a good matchup with Tazewell's speedy WR's on the edge and a laser armed QB that can throw it.  I just think it's a bad matchup for Marion.  I think Tazewell will win big.  Marion will get some chunks on the ground running the ball, but Tazewell is going to score a lot of points.  One thing about Tazewell, better roll the QB away from Coe or get rid of the ball quick.  He's the kind of kid that can take your QB out of the game in a hurry, and I mean that legally, a clean hit.  He's a vicious player and explosive off the ball and he creates problems for any tackle trying to block him.  

My thoughts exactly.  They need to protect Creasy and either have him roll out or have plays that develop very fast.  He won't have time to stand in the pocket with A Coe coming after him.  I think Tazewell can have success running the ball out of the spread and with the short passing game.  They will need to keep a RB in the backfield to help deflect Coe away from the QB on passing plays.

On 10/8/2023 at 1:09 PM, Canes00 said:

LOL I’m with you on everything you said man. Hey we just scored let’s kick an onsides kick and give them the ball around midfield nah forget that let’s kick an onsides kick every time we score a TD or FG and we aren’t going to have anyone back to receive a punt. This program is toast and it’s sad cause they have some talented kids 

The ultimately won the game last night with JV at Tazewell but I wondered why they have no one back to field punts.  Is that a program thing?

7 hours ago, techfan said:

The ultimately won the game last night with JV at Tazewell but I wondered why they have no one back to field punts.  Is that a program thing?

It's a coach who believes that he is reinventing the wheel thing. 

6 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

It's a coach who believes that he is reinventing the wheel thing. 

I've no idea if it's the source of the strategy, but it reminds me somewhat of Kevin Kelley at Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, AR. He gained national attention after winning 9 state titles

using some unconventional methods (i.e. onside kick unless up by 21, rarely punt, go for 2 almost every time). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Kelley_(American_football)

There is a good coach nearby if Ginn does decide to get out at Marion. Former PH coach Mark Palmer is teaching in the same county at Northwood. He would be a good candidate if the job comes open. I'm pretty sure he wants to be a head coach again. Not saying Ginn will leave but if he does then there's your man.

20 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

I've no idea if it's the source of the strategy, but it reminds me somewhat of Kevin Kelley at Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, AR. He gained national attention after winning 9 state titles

using some unconventional methods (i.e. onside kick unless up by 21, rarely punt, go for 2 almost every time). 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Kelley_(American_football)

You know, honestly, I kinda like the onside kick thing for all the reasons that Kelley uses. My issue is:

a) only running players one way when it's obvious that there isn't enough talent to do that

b) not running conditioning, leaving the team to crumble late in the season because they're not physically capable of playing four quarters

c) (and this one is my biggest gripe) making special teams decisions that indicate that field position doesn't matter to you, while simultaneously running a ball control offense. Those two things don't jive to me

I am in no way saying that I could do better, but I'm also of the opinion that there's a fine line between thinking outside the box and being self-destructive in the name of innovation, and Marion is leaning towards the latter and not the former. 

My prediction on this game may change based on the route that the bus driver takes.  (seriously).  If they go over the back of the dragon and get all of those boys car sick, then it could be a close contest.  If they go up to Abingdon and back to 81 or 77 to 81 through Bluefield, then Dawgs win big.

18 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

It's almost worth throwing the game just to keep it out of your trophy case.

Dragon trophy

WTH?  I understand this year's winning coaches get 2 free copies of the Book of Satan and players get Beelzebub Bracelets. Go team!

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

My prediction on this game may change based on the route that the bus driver takes.  (seriously).  If they go over the back of the dragon and get all of those boys car sick, then it could be a close contest.  If they go up to Abingdon and back to 81 or 77 to 81 through Bluefield, then Dawgs win big.

Surely they won’t take a bus over Back of the Dragon 😂🤮

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

They do at times, but I’m pretty sure they hit 77 and then 81, at least we did when I played. I remember my son saying they took the mountain this past spring for ️ 

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I'm pretty sure the vehicle length is prohibited on Walker Mountain. I'm not completely sure that a vehicle that long and isn't segmented can make the turns on the north side of the mountain.

We went across Clinch and through Tannersville a couple times when I was in high school, but it was usually 81/77/460 through Wytheville and Bluefield. On one occasion, the bus driver missed the turn at Broadford and we went across both Brushy and Clinch. Not a fun time.

12 hours ago, Plywood_King said:

I'm pretty sure the vehicle length is prohibited on Walker Mountain. I'm not completely sure that a vehicle that long and isn't segmented can make the turns on the north side of the mountain.

We went across Clinch and through Tannersville a couple times when I was in high school, but it was usually 81/77/460 through Wytheville and Bluefield. On one occasion, the bus driver missed the turn at Broadford and we went across both Brushy and Clinch. Not a fun time.

Appalachian Heart Wood: October 2014

Here's where you knew you were close to Tazewell. 

On 10/11/2023 at 11:31 PM, Liam McPoyle said:

It's almost worth throwing the game just to keep it out of your trophy case.

Dragon trophy

Good Lort that's fiddy shades of ugly! I think this one will be a good one. I'll ride with the Scarlet Hurricane at home 34-28.