Richlands vs Marion

Tru Blue72

10 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Does Richlands win or do we continue to see the big "O" in the win column.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this one?

10 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Does Richlands win or do we continue to see the big "O" in the win column.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this one?

I want to be respectful here. I've always liked the Blues program, but Richlands needs a win here. If not, they are going 0-10 and you go 0-10 and that gets into historic territory....like....arguably the worst Richlands football team in half of a century or 50 years. That's significant considering where the Blues were not too long ago as one of the top 3 Class 2 programs in Virginia year in and year out.

I'm hoping the Blues can come away with the win.  Someone said the other day,  1969 was the last time the Blues were winless.   54 years ago.  

Dig deep.  Can't let it happen.  

For the players who have worked so hard and came so close many times this year, I hope the Blues win.  To secure the victory it takes an overall effort, the players have given their best and played their hearts out, but they're being hindered by poor play calling in tight situations and no support from the coaching staff IMO.  If you look at the overall, Marion will win, but if you look at the hearts of the players, Richlands will win.  I for one am tired of hearing the coach blame the players for not being motivated!  I have seen determination and motivation with the players all year, but no determination, and no motivation from the coaches, just an "Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles" attitude.  I know some will disagree and that is fine, we all have an opinion and mine is, "IT"S TIME FOR A CHANGE IN COACHES!!!! CLEAN HOUSE!!! CHANGE ALL COACHES!!!

Marion 21---Richlands 13

9 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

For the players who have worked so hard and came so close many times this year, I hope the Blues win.  To secure the victory it takes an overall effort, the players have given their best and played their hearts out, but they're being hindered by poor play calling in tight situations and no support from the coaching staff IMO.  If you look at the overall, Marion will win, but if you look at the hearts of the players, Richlands will win.  I for one am tired of hearing the coach blame the players for not being motivated!  I have seen determination and motivation with the players all year, but no determination, and no motivation from the coaches, just an "Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles" attitude.  I know some will disagree and that is fine, we all have an opinion and mine is, "IT"S TIME FOR A CHANGE IN COACHES!!!! CLEAN HOUSE!!! CHANGE ALL COACHES!!!

Marion 21---Richlands 13

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it and take it from a long suffering Blue Devil fan good coaching can't take the place of not having enough talent! It's amazing when the talent increases the coaching does too.

48 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

I’m reference to cleaning house comment; Serious question, where are you going to find a new head coach and say minimum 4 new assistants to come to Richlands?  If you’re thinking people already in Richlands? Who would you hire and who would be willing to take the job? 

40 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I’m reference to cleaning house comment; Serious question, where are you going to find a new head coach and say minimum 4 new assistants to come to Richlands?  If you’re thinking people already in Richlands? Who would you hire and who would be willing to take the job? 

I'm sure if you advertise the opening it will get responses, but as I am only a wishful fan with an out of the box opinion, I have no idea who would be in Richlands that would be an improvement, and I'm not sure there is one to be found, just wishful thinking on my part, but I do know for whatever reason, it's not working and we cannot expect to win every game, but come on man at least we could win a few with the talent we have.  I know the talent is down, but it's not as bad as the record shows. I do know when Mance left there were a lot of out of the area coaches interested in the position, but alas, the Thad Wells thing happened, and here we are.  My hat's off to Tarter for stepping in to take the position, but the best intentions don't always workout, and that's the situation as I see it. 

1 hour ago, SXSW said:

Be careful what you wish for because you just might get it and take it from a long suffering Blue Devil fan good coaching can't take the place of not having enough talent! It's amazing when the talent increases the coaching does too.

What he said ^^^  I’d be really careful what you wish for, take a hard look at the sports programs as a whole in Richlands. Especially the boys. There have been numerous coaching changes and to date, none of them have been for the better-from football, basketball, baseball, soccer, none of the programs have improved. 

For the historical aspect that everyone is talking about:

Richlands has went winless two times in school history. The 1937 Blues went 0-7-1. The 1970 Blues went 0-9-1. Richlands has never finished a regular season 0-10. 

Richlands is currently on a 10 game losing streak dating back to the David Crockett game a season ago. It is the longest losing streak the Blue Tornado has had since it lost the final four games of the 1960 season and the first eight games of the 1961 season--a 12 game losing streak that is the longest in RHS history. 

As for the series with Marion, Richlands holds a 46-17-1 advantage in a matchup that dates back to 1930. Marion has not won since 2017. Dating back to 2001, Richlands holds a 20-2 record in the matchup.

2 hours ago, Tru Blue72 said:

Marion 21---Richlands 13

52 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

I'm sure if you advertise the opening it will get responses, but as I am only a wishful fan with an out of the box opinion, I have no idea who would be in Richlands that would be an improvement, and I'm not sure there is one to be found, just wishful thinking on my part, but I do know for whatever reason, it's not working and we cannot expect to win every game, but come on man at least we could win a few with the talent we have.  I know the talent is down, but it's not as bad as the record shows. I do know when Mance left there were a lot of out of the area coaches interested in the position, but alas, the Thad Wells thing happened, and here we are.  My hat's off to Tarter for stepping in to take the position, but the best intentions don't always workout, and that's the situation as I see it. 

First off to the "way the cookie crumbles" quote and attitude, that's how you get ants. 

Coaching wise, the job itself has and could attract candidates. The issue here is pay from the county and county politics. Tazewell County pays far less than surrounding counties, yet my source is only word of mouth. I would like to see some evidence. County politics, especially in Richlands, fall along the "good ole Boy" system, which has bitten them way more times than it paid off. Plus, Richlands wants to win now, and that ain't happening. They are the third best team in Tazewell County and the separation from two to three is widening everyday. Thad Wells killed that program, I will just say. Disagree all you want, but my evidence will outweigh yours. Even Mance struggled early on and people were calling for his job. 

With that said and seeing how down Richlands players are going thru the motions, I'll pick Marion to play ball control and pull out a win. 21-7. Richlands will break one big play to go for a long touchdown but wont be able to stop Marion upfront from gashing them in rushing yards and YAC. 

13 minutes ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

First off to the "way the cookie crumbles" quote and attitude, that's how you get ants. 

Coaching wise, the job itself has and could attract candidates. The issue here is pay from the county and county politics. Tazewell County pays far less than surrounding counties, yet my source is only word of mouth. I would like to see some evidence. County politics, especially in Richlands, fall along the "good ole Boy" system, which has bitten them way more times than it paid off. Plus, Richlands wants to win now, and that ain't happening. They are the third best team in Tazewell County and the separation from two to three is widening everyday. Thad Wells killed that program, I will just say. Disagree all you want, but my evidence will outweigh yours. Even Mance struggled early on and people were calling for his job. 

With that said and seeing how down Richlands players are going thru the motions, I'll pick Marion to play ball control and pull out a win. 21-7. Richlands will break one big play to go for a long touchdown but wont be able to stop Marion upfront from gashing them in rushing yards and YAC. 

I agree with you.  Everyone keeps saying talent is down and that's simply the results of good old boy politics.  We had some transfer to other schools, assisant coaches transferring to other schools, and good assistants being let go, for simply having a different approach to coaching, as here say goes.  A lot of parents of the upcoming players say their players will not play football at Richlands, even if it means the family moving, due to the coaching and political situation.  If something doesn't change, fans must get use to loosing.

11 minutes ago, Tru Blue72 said:

I was asked who I thought would be a good replacement for HC.  We all have a opinion, so I'll ask everyone on the board. "Do any of you have an opinion on who or what Richlands should do if anything??

I didn't think you would ever ask. @1Wingit23has my vote. I know he's a diehard Giles guy but we've seen that connection work well in the past for Richlands. The man knows his x's and o's as good as anybody. He'll have them bench pressing Volkswagens and squatting trucks in no time. 

1 hour ago, LacesOutDan23 said:

Legit question for those a bit older than me.  When Mance first came, how prevalent were transfers then (to or from)?  I know in my high school years they were rare.

Everybody is on the win now or I'm out of here train which makes it that much harder to rebuild. 

1 hour ago, Tru Blue72 said:

I was asked who I thought would be a good replacement for HC.  We all have a opinion, so I'll ask everyone on the board. "Do any of you have an opinion on who or what Richlands should do if anything??

I've said this before.....if you can talk him into coming back I'd try Mark Dixon. I don't think anyone on Graham's staff would go down there at this point. So I'd look at trying to get someone prominent from Unions staff. And if that failed I'd go Shane Wicks. But I'm not hiring. But a house cleaning is in order for sure. And it needs rebuilt from the ground up. Tough task.