New Head Coach at Richlands

Blue Tornado

2 minutes ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

With all the “experts” on this site The Tazewell County School Board just needs to start reading and select one. 

If the TCSB selects a Richlands coach, I bet they do it very, very quietly. I'm not talking about the TCSB selecting a coach secretly. I'm talking about them literally doing it Quietly, without noise. They don't like noise. 

10 minutes ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

With all the “experts” on this site The Tazewell County School Board just needs to start reading and select one. Cousin Delbert said that Ryan4VT being a Richlands boy might be the one.  However, Uncle Percy said that the character who posted this

definitely not. This is something that only some Mamby Pamby Millennial or Generation Z Participation Trophy recipient could come up with. Even though it may be humiliating and embarrassing, you never ever quit. Quitting is for Losers. 

Yeah it’s gotta be fun playing when you’re down 84-0.  I’ve been avoiding all your comments I’d appreciate it if you’d do the same.

I was lying awake the other night about to apply for this job then I realized, half the people on this board bitch about my broadcasting, I can only imagine the criticism I'd get if I were to get the coaching job.

I think I'll stay in the booth 😘

8 hours ago, Cousin_Hoyt said:

With all the “experts” on this site The Tazewell County School Board just needs to start reading and select one. Cousin Delbert said that Ryan4VT being a Richlands boy might be the one.  However, Uncle Percy said that the character who posted this

definitely not. This is something that only some Mamby Pamby Millennial or Generation Z Participation Trophy recipient could come up with. Even though it may be humiliating and embarrassing, you never ever quit. Quitting is for Losers. 

Cousin Delbert is high. 😂

6 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

Nope. This is not the answer. 

Overall, I agree. I will say, in my opinion Honaker picked up one if not 2 good ones. There are some diamonds in the rough. 

It seems to me that it’s probably a 50/50 split nowadays between coaches who are teachers and those who are not.

Not accepting the lower standards than Richlands is accustomed to in recent history, and in the spirit of extending this topic, how about some input by those who have experienced the lows of coaching changes after terrible seasons and either recovery or improvement? What are reasonable expectations or steps and time? 
Graham goes from a 70-0 loss to Gate City to 2 state titles and a runner up. Tazewell per other thread, went from winless seasons and a coaching carousel to vastly improved consistent playoff team. Gate City?

14 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

I was lying awake the other night about to apply for this job then I realized, half the people on this board bitch about my broadcasting, I can only imagine the criticism I'd get if I were to get the coaching job.

Mayor, Uncle Percy says go for it. Richlands is going to need someone who’s not afraid of telling the “experts” and “Daddy Ballers” to apply their lips to a certain part of their anatomy before that mess is cleaned up (Uncle Percy said it a little different).  Uncle Percy also  said you probably wouldn’t have to give up your day job.

4 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Not accepting the lower standards than Richlands is accustomed to in recent history, and in the spirit of extending this topic, how about some input by those who have experienced the lows of coaching changes after terrible seasons and either recovery or improvement? What are reasonable expectations or steps and time? 
Graham goes from a 70-0 loss to Gate City to 2 state titles and a runner up. Tazewell per other thread, went from winless seasons and a coaching carousel to vastly improved consistent playoff team. Gate City?

Move away from the social experiment that Richlands Football has evolved into.  Ensure the entire coaching staff is teaching the fundamentals of football and employing team discipline.  The expectations placed on these kids from parents and the community are not realistic and have hurt the program.  The youth football program has suffered in the past few years which is also a factor.  The weekly schedule should be practice on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, walk-through practice on Thursday and game on Friday.  Players re-coop during the weekend.  I don't know if they still do this, but a couple of years ago, they had dinners during the week at different churches.  From a football standpoint, those were unnecessary.  There were too many things that promoted a "Miami Hurricanes" environment. The program needs to go back to what initially made Richlands competitive, physical play, a tough running game and stout defense.  Expectations?  One game at a time, minimal penalties, no turnovers, physical play.  You will win most of your games.

14 hours ago, cityofRaven said:

We are all entitled to our WRONG opinions on the broadcasting side. Mayor of Raven in the booth and on Pigskin Pigs is always the right call, but the headphones as a coach... Makes ya wonder!

9 minutes ago, old_school_blue said:

Move away from the social experiment that Richlands Football has evolved into.  Ensure the entire coaching staff is teaching the fundamentals of football and employing team discipline.  The expectations placed on these kids from parents and the community are not realistic and have hurt the program.  The youth football program has suffered in the past few years which is also a factor.  The weekly schedule should be practice on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, walk-through practice on Thursday and game on Friday.  Players re-coop during the weekend.  I don't know if they still do this, but a couple of years ago, they had dinners during the week at different churches.  From a football standpoint, those were unnecessary.  There were too many things that promoted a "Miami Hurricanes" environment. The program needs to go back to what initially made Richlands competitive, physical play, a tough running game and stout defense.  Expectations?  One game at a time, minimal penalties, no turnovers, physical play.  You will win most of your games.

I don't think a Spaghetti Dinner from the United (then) Methodist has anything to do with success on the football field unless it's a five night a week thing! My son's team in Kingsport got fed once a week from the fine Christian Denominations around the northern fringes of Kingsport! They played great they lost 6 regular season games in four years. Food has nothing to do with it! 

One of the biggest problems Richlands has had over the past two years is inexperienced personnel making football decisions.  I may not have this right, after all a lot of rumors have spread, but if you have someone in the booth calling offense who has never played football, I would ask, "who the heck made that decision."  You can play "Madden" videos and watch football game tapes all you want, but if you have never played, what the heck do you know, and how in the world do you think you can be an offensive coach, or any help to the HC.  If that is what went on this year, how can you expect to win with that situation.  That's why I think the TCSB needs to hire an experienced HC and let that person decide who the assistants will be. Now if I'm wrong, someone please correct me.  I've been wrong before, at least once. LOL

21 minutes ago, SXSW said:

I don't think a Spaghetti Dinner from the United (then) Methodist has anything to do with success on the football field unless it's a five night a week thing! My son's team in Kingsport got fed once a week from the fine Christian Denominations around the northern fringes of Kingsport! They played great they lost 6 regular season games in four years. Food has nothing to do with it! 

Must have hit a nerve.  I don't have any contempt for churches that feed teams or for food itself.  That is a ridiculous notion and proof to me that you didn't absorb the totality of my comment.  It is about scheduling, rest and academics.  Practice takes up enough time, in my opinion, unless they are game day meals, this is not a good practice.  It would be safe to consider that your son's team was successful because it is one of the biggest schools in Tennessee.  

a good feeder program that teaches fundamentals and a crew of high school coaches  that do the same thing is a rarity these days.  If any school  even has half of that, it's worth it's weight in gold.  The community involvement is not everything but it definitely makes an impact on a kid when he's meeting the supporters on the regular.  I'm not sure about a dinner other than the night before or the day of the game, but that's just another good chance for them to sit together again and break bread before getting after it.  I don't think Richlands created the blueprint for success, but they were on to something good before it wasn't.  Regroup and begin again in the simplest form and grow it.  It's high school football, figure out a way to get the kids to buy in and keep investing for a common goal whether it's a lift, 40yd, gpa, etc.  The goal is to become a better athlete and has to be attainable. It should have nothing to do with what anyone outside the football family of that locker room when it comes down to it.  

10 minutes ago, S10SQUAREBODY4LIFE said:

a good feeder program that teaches fundamentals and a crew of high school coaches  that do the same thing is a rarity these days.  If any school  even has half of that, it's worth it's weight in gold.  The community involvement is not everything but it definitely makes an impact on a kid when he's meeting the supporters on the regular.  I'm not sure about a dinner other than the night before or the day of the game, but that's just another good chance for them to sit together again and break bread before getting after it.  I don't think Richlands created the blueprint for success, but they were on to something good before it wasn't.  Regroup and begin again in the simplest form and grow it.  It's high school football, figure out a way to get the kids to buy in and keep investing for a common goal whether it's a lift, 40yd, gpa, etc.  The goal is to become a better athlete and has to be attainable. It should have nothing to do with what anyone outside the football family of that locker room when it comes down to it.  

It is the journey that is important, not the destination.  To me the goal is not become a better athlete, it is to become a responsible citizen.  Hard work and the ability to overcome adversity are paramount in football and in life.  In my opinion, there is too much emphasis on the good of the program and not enough on the development of the kid.  Not specifically at Richlands, generally in society.  Also, you have to keep "daddy ball" at a minimum at every level.

9 minutes ago, old_school_blue said:

Must have hit a nerve.  I don't have any contempt for churches that feed teams or for food itself.  That is a ridiculous notion and proof to me that you didn't absorb the totality of my comment.  It is about scheduling, rest and academics.  Practice takes up enough time, in my opinion, unless they are game day meals, this is not a good practice.  It would be safe to consider that your son's team was successful because it is one of the biggest schools in Tennessee.  

No nerve struck with me and my son didn't play at DB!

1 minute ago, old_school_blue said:

It is the journey that is important, not the destination.  To me the goal is not become a better athlete, it is to become a responsible citizen.  Hard work and the ability to overcome adversity are paramount in football and in life.  In my opinion, there is too much emphasis on the good of the program and not enough on the development of the kid.  Not specifically at Richlands, generally in society.

After seeing personal foul pentaly flags flying in just about ever game, and the coaches patting the responsible player on the back like he had just scored, yeah I'd say you can hang that statement on Richlands.  Come on man, pull the player, set them down on the bench after pointing out that his attitude is unaceptable, let him think about it for a long period and if you put him back in the game, do so only after reafirming him that if it happens again, he'll ride the bench the next game and he'll get the point.  Over and over rewarding a player for bad habits, means the bad habits will continue and they certainly proved that this year.  No discipliine equals no direction, not only on the field of play, but also in everyday life.

1 hour ago, CzarYakov said:

We are all entitled to our WRONG opinions on the broadcasting side. Mayor of Raven in the booth and on Pigskin Pigs is always the right call, but the headphones as a coach... Makes ya wonder!

How could they go wrong picking anybody from Raven and/or Jewell Ridge? That's the heart and soul of Richlands football. Well I guess Big Creek too but that's beside the point.

24 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

How could they go wrong picking anybody from Raven and/or Jewell Ridge? That's the heart and soul of Richlands football. Well I guess Big Creek too but that's beside the point.

LOL on the Big Creek/McDowell County toss in Mountain Football.  I see what you did there.  Might as well toss in the snake handlers down in Jolo.  I don't care if he handles rattlesnakes, by God he knows football, and is probably knowledgeable about "Defense and Making Adjustments."

I believe issues in Richlands can be attributed to new culture of kids coming up in today’s world. We are phasing out the old ways of doing things…discipline, manners, morals, respect and plain out “want to” and grit.  It’s going to take a strong minded individual to raise standards in practice and on the field if they aren’t getting it in the classroom or at home. It’s a two edged sword and very sad.  Talent is there but you have to have someone who isn’t a yes man anymore. Tazewell county is well known for having the “uppity ups” and what have you run things in sports in general.  It ain’t gonna stop until someone stops it. Just my thoughts, as little and as meaningless as they are. Enjoy the board , enjoy reading everyday. 

I agree with all of the recent posts about feeder programs, fundamentals, and development aspects of discipline posted by old school, S10,SXSW, and TrueBlue have it right. I think the elephant in the room is that the coaches and their job security are dependent upon wins and losses. That often leads to questionable practices or impatience. In a perfect world, teaching all those qualities are always reflected in the win column. Unfortunately, that often isn’t the case. 

Example: A team wins handily despite tons of penalties due to lack of discipline.

37 minutes ago, fishfan said:

I believe issues in Richlands can be attributed to new culture of kids coming up in today’s world. We are phasing out the old ways of doing things…discipline, manners, morals, respect and plain out “want to” and grit.  It’s going to take a strong minded individual to raise standards in practice and on the field if they aren’t getting it in the classroom or at home. It’s a two edged sword and very sad.  Talent is there but you have to have someone who isn’t a yes man anymore. Tazewell county is well known for having the “uppity ups” and what have you run things in sports in general.  It ain’t gonna stop until someone stops it. Just my thoughts, as little and as meaningless as they are. Enjoy the board , enjoy reading everyday. 

I think this phenomenon is universal. I think the amount of talent fluctuating has made the effect more noticeable on this end of the county. The coaching stability certainly would temper this effect, magnify it by the lack of stability.

6 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I agree with all of the recent posts about feeder programs, fundamentals, and development aspects of discipline posted by old school, S10,SXSW, and TrueBlue have it right. I think the elephant in the room is that the coaches and their job security are dependent upon wins and losses. That often leads to questionable practices or impatience. In a perfect world, teaching all those qualities are always reflected in the win column. Unfortunately, that often isn’t the case. 

Example: A team wins handily despite tons of penalties due to lack of discipline.

I don't know if it is as simple as wins and losses as it is how teams perform.  For example, no one predicted Richlands to challenge for the SWD and/or make a deep playoff run before the season.  The majority of Richlands' games this season ended in a blowout.  There was a strong feeling after about week six that Richlands would be winless.  That was not based on talent, but rather how they played.  Lack of fight and visible signs that the team stopped competing after falling behind.  Success should not be based on wins and losses, it should be based on how much they have improved.  Unfortunately, Richlands did not improve week to week as they should have.

Winning all games may be a goal for some, but the majority just wants to see good competion.  If a team looses in a close game, you can always blame the ref's, lol, but if a team looses every game and most by blow outs, well that's a different story.  I've seen years when Richlands only won 2 or 3 games back in my time, but the fans still supported the team because of the effort of the coaches and players.  One year, if I remember correctly, Richlands only beat Gate City, Tazewell and Marion, which was odd, but by the fans reaction, you would have thought they had won the Super Bowl.  I think the fans have every right to cry bloody murder for what has happened these past two years, and although the HC is a good guy it still falls on his leadership.  Hope everyone has a great and wonderful Thanksgiving.