Union Vs Tazewell

bulldog05-CO2017

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Creasy is currently 9th in career passing yards, T-10th in in career TD passes, and 6th in career pass completions in VHSL history but he's underwhelming?!?!?

giphy.gif

And congratulations to him on those achievements. I’m just saying when I’ve seen him play it’s not like he’s throwing 45 yard bombs in double coverage. He’s just hitting little screen passes. I’m not saying he’s not talented, I’m just saying for him to be 10th on that td list he does not have as much arm talent as one would think

40 minutes ago, Stelley said:

And congratulations to him on those achievements. I’m just saying when I’ve seen him play it’s not like he’s throwing 45 yard bombs in double coverage. He’s just hitting little screen passes. I’m not saying he’s not talented, I’m just saying for him to be 10th on that td list he does not have as much arm talent as one would think

So, the 85 yard TD pass I saw him throw in the 1st quarter Saturday that traveled 50 yards in the air and hit the receiver perfectly in stride didn’t happen?

Besides, have you watched football at every level in recent years. Tom Brady made a 25 year hall-of-fame career throwing those types of passes. It’s the way the games played now. It’s an extension of the run game. 

If it’s so easy, why isn’t every high school team in our region duplicating his feats?

25 minutes ago, sixcat said:

So, the 85 yard TD pass I saw him throw in the 1st quarter Saturday that traveled 50 yards in the air and hit the receiver perfectly in stride didn’t happen?

Besides, have you watched football at every level in recent years. Tom Brady made a 25 year hall-of-fame career throwing those types of passes. It’s the way the games played now. It’s an extension of the run game. 

If it’s so easy, why isn’t every high school team in our region duplicating his feats?

I’m not saying it didn’t happen. I’m just saying that when I have seen him play that i have seen a couple of qbs that had far more arm talent than him. Every high school doesn’t have the right personnel like tazewell has to run those types of offense. His last couple of years he had a bunch of stud wr’s that he could just throw the ball up and they could go get it. Again I am not trying to take anything away from the kid, simply just stating my opinion.

33 minutes ago, sixcat said:

38 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

Graham and Union in final!! Book it and it won’t even be close this weekend for either team! 

Theoretically there’s a 25% probability of it being Graham vs. Union in the region final. 

The following scenarios each have a theoretical probability of 25%:

Gate City at Union 

Graham vs Tazewell

Gate City vs. Tazewell  

As far as the most likely scenario based on different factors it will most likely be Union hosting Graham.

Tazewell deserves some respect, as does Gate City. Neither Union nor Graham can afford to overlook their opponents. Do that and it could be Gate City vs. Tazewell. 

I would personally like to see Union vs. Gate City. During the pre-consolidation years Powell Valley vs. Gate City were games for the ages from 01-10. In fact, there were only 3 seasons from 01-10 in which the teams did not meet in the playoffs. Those were 02, 06, and 10.

In my opinion I feel like this is one of the best defenses Union has put on the field! The linebackers fly around and the secondary is quick and good in coverage, and the D- line does a heck of a job keeping blockers of the LBs, and they all fly to the ball! I feel like Union will get tons of pressure on Tazwell, and I am curious to see how they react, whether they abandon the pass or do they keep airing it out? I don't see Tazwell putting up big numbers running the ball against the Bears Defense!! 

I look for it to be close early on, and the Bears pulling away late and heading to the Region D Championship!

Bears - 34

Bulldogs - 13

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

Creasy is currently 9th in career passing yards, T-10th in in career TD passes, and 6th in career pass completions in VHSL history but he's underwhelming?!?!?

giphy.gif

Doesn’t hurt when your coach force feeds kids and clearly values setting records. 

From Max Preps

Passing leaders through this week: Carter Creasy, Tazewell (3173 yards/36 TD); Tristan Evans-Trujillo, Freedom (2780 yards/41 TD); Carter Working, Lightridge (2735 yards/23 TD); Jordan Dennis, South County (2671 yards/18 TD); Peyton Musick, Honaker (2671… dlvr.it/SynJM7

If Union even sniffs at trying to go man, mesh them to death.  No way they are prepared for that. If they want to sit back in zone, flood zone and dink and dunk all day.  Tazewell is good at that.  And absolutely make Chandler cover space.  I would target him mercilessly.

if Union wants to blitz, have your screen game ready. Bulldog fans can argue but they were beat last year in the playoffs because RV brought pressure and had the DBs to nullify any deep threat. They didn’t truly threaten to score.  Hopefully they’ve learned from that. I’d love to see the Dogs advance.

9 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Doesn’t hurt when your coach force feeds kids and clearly values setting records. 

Try looking at the stats this year and look how much the ball is spread all over the place.

As far as last year, you have a D1 receiver, why wouldn't you get the ball to him every chance you have.  Think I have seen that comment made regarding other teams quite frequently on here.

8 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

If Union even sniffs at trying to go man, mesh them to death.  No way they are prepared for that. If they want to sit back in zone, flood zone and dink and dunk all day.  Tazewell is good at that.  And absolutely make Chandler cover space.  I would target him mercilessly.

if Union wants to blitz, have your screen game ready. Bulldog fans can argue but they were beat last year in the playoffs because RV brought pressure and had the DBs to nullify any deep threat. They didn’t truly threaten to score.  Hopefully they’ve learned from that. I’d love to see the Dogs advance.

They tried doing the same again this year and in the first quarter, RV did a good job at it.  Thankfully they adjusted and were able to make the plays.

Force feeding talented backs and receivers. A QB that can distribute the football in ways very few from our region ever have. A coach knowledgeable enough to figure out ways to maximize that talent. 

Every coach in SWVA would kill for those options. According to this board, that's something to be ashamed of!!!

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, Stelley said:

First off, why would you want your QB throwing 45 yard bombs into double coverage? 

Secondly,  why is arm talent, and by your previous post you are referring to arm strength Mel Kiper, Jr, the standard by which you measure QB's? You know who had great arm talents. JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf. Both could throw the ball further than Uncle Rico in the rain. How'd that arm talent work out for them? Today's game is mostly the screen game, that's why the Running Back market has dwindled in pay. Why would you not want your best athletes to have the ball in space? 

In my opinion, Creasy is one of the most talented quarterbacks that I have seen in recent years. I won’t/can’t compare him to his peers mentioned, but we are blessed with several talented quarterbacks. Tazewell is also blessed with some of the best skilled position players around. 
That said, the criticism and outcome of the game will likely come down the line of scrimmage. As some of said, the poor performances against the better teams are usually the result of a merciless pass rush. 

Good luck to Tazewell! However, I go with Union, not because of the skill position players and scheme, but because the results I have seen between the offensive and defensive lines.

I don't think anyone keeps up with the stats as far as targets downfield.  How many yards could be attributed to short spot pass-type plays to say "Harris" who just graduated?  It's not exactly as if he's been taking defenses apart.  On average how much they throwing a game?  It's not uncommon in today's game to see 25-30 attempts a game but if you neglect the run game you're not going far.  The coach is utilizing what he's got, and maybe he's boosting the #s a little in the kid's favor, good for him.  What happens in the event that he's not on the field or the opposing team has a good pass defense and is able to pressure the QB?  I think it's a case of simply neglecting an aspect of the game but hey if the kid hits 4000 a year and fails to make a region title game on a yearly basis it may be time to go another route and add some more wrinkles.  Good luck to both

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Force feeding talented backs and receivers. A QB that can distribute the football in ways very few from our region ever have. A coach knowledgeable enough to figure out ways to maximize that talent. 

Every coach in SWVA would kill for those options. According to this board, that's something to be ashamed of!!!

giphy.gif

Not at all.  You've heard me rail on RV for years for having no damn idea how to scheme their best athletes open.  They were/are horrible at it.  I still stand that Graham's coaching staff wins a state title with last year's RV team.  

Did Harris pad his son's stats?  No doubt at all that he did.  Is Creasey's stats padded?  Yes.  But, I applaud the coach for trying to get his players noticed, which he should absolutely be doing.  I can tell you that the opposite is true at RV.  With two schools in the stands recruiting Beavers vs Union last year, RV used him as a decoy the whole game and he didn't get to touch the ball one time.  You think Harris would do that to his kids?  But here is the valid point that the Bulldog fans need to understand.  If you are quoting statistics back to validate your player is the best, those stats have to be taken with a grain of salt.  

It seems that Creasey is polarizing.  I've watched him quite a few times and my opinion still holds. He is a great system QB...really good accuracy on short/intermediate.  But, folks, he doesn't have that next level arm talent.  He doesn't have top three SWVA arm talent. He has a hitch in his throwing motion.....its a bad hitch.....the kind college DBs or top level high school DBs (there aren't any in SWVA) would take advantage of.  

In my opinion, if you switched O'Quin and Creasey to each other's team O'Quin would thrive in Tazewell's system.  I would argue he would take the offense next level because he is a fast and physical running QB.  Now, Creasey would struggle in RV's system which likes to throw intermediate/deep balls.  The Lebanon QB may have the most arm talent this side of Roanoke.....but that doesn't mean he would thrive in Tazewell's system.  Some QBs want to show that arm off and aren't discipline enough to take check-downs and swing passes.  

Give Harris credit for maximizing his QB's talents and putting him in situations to thrive.  That is good coaching.  He does it more than any coach in the region.......and I wonder if it has to do with, he isn't from the region.  I think it does.  In the football talent hotbeds, coaches mold their offenses around their talent and aren't afraid to let those athletes "get their flowers" as the young'ens say.  

3 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Try looking at the stats this year and look how much the ball is spread all over the place.

As far as last year, you have a D1 receiver, why wouldn't you get the ball to him every chance you have.  Think I have seen that comment made regarding other teams quite frequently on here.

At the expense of every other player on the offense. How quick you guys forget the whole debacle to get Harris the catch record.