2017 schedules.

ojrussell

When you bray like a donkey for months on end about something; are then proven wrong in a manner that everyone saw coming; and then refuse to acknowledge it; you tend to lose much of the goodwill you ever had, if you had any at all.

I hate when I agree with you...

Good scheduling job by Richlands, you gain nothing by playing down in competition. The folks at Hurley will figure that out one day. Glad to see GC's schedule I think it is right for the talent they have to work with I just hope there is some breaks between the murder's row that used to start the season. South will be way down but Boone will be tough. Abingdon, Union and Richlands will be there usual tough games.

I lIke how everyone likes to pick on Hurley's scheduling. Pick one team on Hurley's schedule that has a smaller enrollment than Hurley . Its not easy to get teams to come to Hurley. Nobody said anything when these  teams were beating us . We go 10-0 and here comes the talk.  Actually I would say the schedule did hurt Hurley in the playoffs because Hurley's players never played past the 2nd quarter. Hurley is the second smallest school in the state. They are actually playing up with anybody they play.  Castlewood, Eastside, twin Springs, Holston, Shelby Valley all dropped Hurley for the upcoming cycle.  All of these teams Hurley has beat easily the last few years with the exception of 2A Shelby Valley.  I dont think you can pick on a teams schedule when every team they played was a larger school.  I actually think last years Hurley team was better than this years team and they finished 9-3 and lost to Galax  28-14 in a tight ballgame. Galax went on to win the state.  Hurley is playing the teams they suppose to. Did there schedule hurt them this year? Probably. No one metioned there schedule last year when they gave Galax all they could handle. The kids in Hurleys program went 10-0 because they put in the work . Not because of scheduling. Every team on the 2016 schedule was a larger school if you want to check the enrollment numbers.

I lIke how everyone likes to pick on Hurley's scheduling. Pick one team on Hurley's schedule that has a smaller enrollment than Hurley . Its not easy to get teams to come to Hurley. Nobody said anything when these  teams were beating us . We go 10-0 and here comes the talk.  Actually I would say the schedule did hurt Hurley in the playoffs because Hurley's players never played past the 2nd quarter. Hurley is the second smallest school in the state. They are actually playing up with anybody they play.  Castlewood, Eastside, twin Springs, Holston, Shelby Valley all dropped Hurley for the upcoming cycle.  All of these teams Hurley has beat easily the last few years with the exception of 2A Shelby Valley.  I dont think you can pick on a teams schedule when every team they played was a larger school.  I actually think last years Hurley team was better than this years team and they finished 9-3 and lost to Galax  28-14 in a tight ballgame. Galax went on to win the state.  Hurley is playing the teams they suppose to. Did there schedule hurt them this year? Probably. No one metioned there schedule last year when they gave Galax all they could handle. The kids in Hurleys program went 10-0 because they put in the work . Not because of scheduling. Every team on the 2016 schedule was a larger school if you want to check the enrollment numbers.

I'm confused here. Shouldn't you be excited that Hurley is now good enough that those schools you listed doesn't wanna play you all for a while and you need better competition the next couple seasons? Just stop playing the "school enrollment card" and actually take some pride in the fact that your beating bigger schools and you need better teams to play the next two seasons.

That's a good Union schedule! Points galore with 6A Morristown West, and 3A Abingdon and Letcher Central. You all will like the return trip to Morristown in 2018 very nice facility. Mo. East and Mo. West share the stadium, plenty of parking and good visitor seating.

Whats odd there to me is that we have seen 7 and 7:30 start times at certain schools in the last two years instead of all 7:30 starts.  First time I have recognized one school using both start times for their home games though.  

Whats odd there to me is that we have seen 7 and 7:30 start times at certain schools in the last two years instead of all 7:30 starts. First time I have recognized one school using both start times for their home games though.

I thought the same thing. Does the district set the start time at 7:00?

My guess is maybe it just getting dark earlier, or with all the spread teams the games are lasting much longer. I was watching the WKU-Memphis game the other night and the first six minutes of the game took 45 minutes to play. Four plus hours are becoming the norm.

My guess is maybe it just getting dark earlier, or with all the spread teams the games are lasting much longer. I was watching the WKU-Memphis game the other night and the first six minutes of the game took 45 minutes to play. Four plus hours are becoming the norm.

I think you're thinking about the Central Michigan - Tulsa game.  I set my DVR to record for 4.5 hours, and just BARELY got all of that game on my recording.

Surprised the Burton and union game isn't on Thursday this season. Got use to watching Richland's and gate city the following night.

It is..

Edit: Just seen where you corrected yourself. we all make mistakes :D

2017 Gate City Football Schedule

8/25: @ Richlands

9/1: Abingdon

9/8: Sullivan South (TN)

9/15: @ Daniel Boone (TN)

9/22: @ Union (7pm?)

9/29: @ Ridgeview

10/6: Marion

10/13: Lee High

10/20: @ John Battle

10/27: Wise Central

11/3: OPEN

That's a tough start. 

Back in the day all games used to start at 8, then 7:30, now 7....

Hell, if this keeps up they might as well play them on Friday afternoons so they all the precious children won't be home past dark.

When I played the first few games started at 8, then after the time change they started a 7:30.

Inner city schools play their games on Friday afternoons. Tennessee had a running back from Detroit, Aaron Hayden and his first night game he ever played was in Neyland Stadium. ESPN ran a special on it back in the day.

The Friday night highlight shows generate viewership that local news outlets desperately need and want.  They have petitioned for years to have the games played earlier to give them additional time for a better production.  It also gives them added time to cover a wider footprint. 

This isn't the only reason games are being played earlier but it is a significant contributing factor. 

The Friday night highlight shows generate viewership that local news outlets desperately need and want.  They have petitioned for years to have the games played earlier to give them additional time for a better production.  It also gives them added time to cover a wider footprint. 

This isn't the only reason games are being played earlier but it is a significant contributing factor. 

The Friday night shows in Roanoke don't have any trouble showing post game interviews of games they cover and getting it on for the show...