Quick Question

swvasportscommenter

So to be clear....to win in high school...transfers are a requirement.  And if you want to be on a winning team......don't have to work hard.....just transfer to a school with a winning team.

Either that or hold kids back so that you have 19 year olds playing against younger kids...sometimes both...

Yes they did lose a couple. I recall someone saying Booker wouldnt have seen the field much at Graham anyway. From what ive seen he may have been their 2nd best WR if he was still there.

If he was 2nd best, he would have seen the field plenty at Graham...

Still cant get over Sean Overton not even getting a smaller d1 offer. I thought that kid was special.

You do realize that most institutions of higher learning require that kids be interested in getting an education in order for them to participate in athletics, right???

Did he even make it a full semester at BC???  (That's Bluefield College, not Boston College...)

Trust me, I know the value in being part of a winning team, but there's also a ton of value in just being a teammate.

There's value in being part of a team that doesn't win all the time, too...that's when you become a better teammate and a better person. 

I meant no offence to Union, I understand logistics and geography there is no way I am putting a sixteen year old in a car and let them drive forty minutes to school when they can be at three others in less than twenty minutes. I have a niece and two nephews who live in Carter's Valley and all started school in Scott Co. as kindergarteners those aren't transfers. I am pretty sure Union picks a few kids from Lee and football is probably why. 

I meant no offence to Union, I understand logistics and geography there is no way I am putting a sixteen year old in a car and let them drive forty minutes to school when they can be at three others in less than twenty minutes. I have a niece and two nephews who live in Carter's Valley and all started school in Scott Co. as kindergarteners those aren't transfers. I am pretty sure Union picks a few kids from Lee and football is probably why. 

No offence taken. I was just trying to answer as informatively as I can.

All schools have "boundary" students. As a parent, it makes sense to send your child to the closest and/or most convenient school. Especially, if that school provides better facilities, teachers, environment, education, opportunities, curriculum, or anything else that you perceive to be better.

Also, if you live in one town, but work in another, it makes sense to have your kids close by in the event of an emergency. 

As far as transfers go. I just really don't care one way or another. I'd love for every kid that could to come to Union. And if a kid leaves to play somewhere else, oh well. It is what it is. All I can do as a fan is sit in the stands and cheer on every kid that wears the Blue & Orange. If they come, they're a part of the family. If they go, I won't be lamenting over "the one that got away."

GC will be getting a few in a couple of years, especially since Sullivan County approved funding for the new schools. At first I didn't think it would be very many, but after hearing and reading what parents are saying we may get more than I expected. One lady told me personally if it comes between sending her children 10 minutes to GC or 35 minutes to the airport, then it'll be a no-brainer. Being a dad, I couldn't blame her. There's no "easy" way to get from Bloomingdale to the airport.

Not to fester an old wound, but what about exchange students?

Richlands had a chance in the late 90's to have one of their best basketball teams ever with 2 Yugoslavia exchange students and a great deal of home grown talent on top of that.

But with who they had as head coach at the time, all they could squander was a .500 record.

And on rare occasion, a great DE or nice TE......as in Oliver Fredrick (sp) and his brother Timmy. But yeah, mostly kickers.

And the one we had a year or two ago. Can't remember his name, but he was #26 if I remember correctly. Didn't start, but got some playing time. That kid really liked to hit!

And excellent power forwards and centers in B-Ball.

What is this "B-Ball" you speak of? I thought football started with an "F". Is that the Greek translation? :)

Sorry, I'm a football only sports fanatic, unless we are playing for a state championship. In that instance, I was at every game, match or performance. haha

After the last 10 years, this has become insanely redundant. A school pulls quality players from other teams in the area and guess what? Get ready.... They beat the other schools in the area. Raise your hands if you are surprised. The thing is this has not translated into success for the ultimate goal. Feelings are hurt, people make fools of themselves arguing the points, and so on, but no trophies come home. I for one vote we create a "West of I77 Championship" in order to legitimize the issue. Meanwhile, the Appomattox's of the state will continue to await your all stars each December.

I am pretty sure Union picks a few kids from Lee and football is probably why.

I can't think of a single example of this at Union. I may be wrong, but I can't. Not saying that any kids from Lee County attend Union, because as has been stated some kids come to Wise County schools from Lee because of logistics based on how spread out and large Lee County is. But as for kids just coming there while in high school to play football...that's a rarity.

Appalachia always had several kids from Keokee and im sure PV always had some kids from Dryden. Was it mainly for football? Idk, Lee Co is pretty proud of the Generals, a lot of devotion there.

I was at Galax High School yesterday afternoon to pick up my daughter.  The student parking areas were full of vehicles with North Carolina license plates.  Much more so than I would have believed had I not seen it for myself.  

Union gets a few from Jasper area around the Lee line I am sure. One kid from Duffield started on both sides of the ball for Union.  His parents went to PV and he switched from Rye Cove to Union his freshman year.

Dont try to spin what I put as a negative.  I do not mean it that way.  He is a current one I know that made a switch between schools, but I dont mean it as Union recruited or picked him to come there, that wasnt the case. 

Dont try to spin what I put as a negative.  I do not mean it that way.  He is a current one I know that made a switch between schools, but I dont mean it as Union recruited or picked him to come there, that wasnt the case. 

You're good, your message didn't come across that way at all. It was very matter of fact. Don't think Unionguy_2017 meant anything by his comment.

GC will be getting a few in a couple of years, especially since Sullivan County approved funding for the new schools. At first I didn't think it would be very many, but after hearing and reading what parents are saying we may get more than I expected. One lady told me personally if it comes between sending her children 10 minutes to GC or 35 minutes to the airport, then it'll be a no-brainer. Being a dad, I couldn't blame her. There's no "easy" way to get from Bloomingdale to the airport.

I'm seeing a few parents on Facebook saying their kids will be going to GC.