Projections

Union_Fan

5 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

That 2016 Appomattox team is arguably the best 2A team in VHSL history.  I’m not sure it’s a winning argument, but you can make it and support it without immediately being discarded.  They beat Heritage (Lynchburg), who was a 4A region finalist that season.  They had 1 close game against Dan River.  They obliterated everyone else.  

Ferrel Edmunds would not reschedule that Dan River game it was played during a hurricane in torrential rain. The game would have been better played on an ice rink i believe.

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

I hope so. Not because of the reasons most would suggest. I would love to see VHSL do the right thing for once in their existence and create the lowest classification, regardless of number of schools, exclusively for those schools that struggle with enrollment numbers. Maybe 300 and below? Then divide the remainder of the state into 3 or 4 equal classifications. 

that would be a great idea holston has about 265 kids 

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

Who cares how many schools are involved. VHSL should make it happen. Galax has done 8-Man football through the recreation department since shortly after Dixon became head coach. It was his idea to get, and keep, more kids involved. Other states have been doing it for decades.

Well I just threw 15 out as a number they're not gonna do it for 3 teams 

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

8 man Foosball? I'd rather watch a piss-ant eat a round bale of hay.

It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing and that's where a lot of the schools I mentioned football programs are headed. Besides, it's not for us to watch, it's for players to play

It's nearly every sport in every school.  There are some exceptions, but most kids have never tried out for anything in their lives.  Bad combination of lazy or focused on other endeavors.  Used to be much less to do or keep your attention like sports. At home,  school,  after school, etc.  Hopefully a trend that comes back one day.  Hate seeing small schools lose kids.  I love the underdog, I should have been a u.t. fan lol.

I've been loosely associated with junior golf regionally for quite some time. The parallels from what I see there to what I see with youth football, basketball and baseball are in-and-of-themselves, quite similar. In an age of "specialization," the kids that don't exhibit talent, coordination and ability early on, get less and less attention from youth coaches. Eventually, and typically well before high school, those kids being left behind give up and find something else to do.

The issue, by-in-large, doesn't lie with the kids. It lies with the youth league organizers and coaches who don't coach the last kid on the bench equally as they would the star QB. We've created the vacuum that sucks the interest out of the sport for a lot of these kids. Adults rarely take the time to listen to kids. So the kids find somewhere else to be.

17 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

To follow up, when they played Dan River it was in a monsoon with some of the worst field conditions I’ve ever seen. Union beat DR that year and then Appomattox blew them off the field. I’d assume Appomattox does the same to DR on a dry field. 

Dan River refused to move that game (I forget what hurricane it was that came through).

They knew that with the style of football  they played and the wet field slowing us down that the soaked field and driving rain would play into their favor.

That and we were missing our best lineman and #26 Delonte Kelso that game which helped allowed the score to stay close.

We kicked a 40+ yard FG in that rain too.  Special teams baby!!

In saying all that, DR was good, I think they were looking past Union to a rematch with us.  There were articles in the paper about the possible rematch. 

20 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I've been loosely associated with junior golf regionally for quite some time. The parallels from what I see there to what I see with youth football, basketball and baseball are in-and-of-themselves, quite similar. In an age of "specialization," the kids that don't exhibit talent, coordination and ability early on, get less and less attention from youth coaches. Eventually, and typically well before high school, those kids being left behind give up and find something else to do.

The issue, by-in-large, doesn't lie with the kids. It lies with the youth league organizers and coaches who don't coach the last kid on the bench equally as they would the star QB. We've created the vacuum that sucks the interest out of the sport for a lot of these kids. Adults rarely take the time to listen to kids. So the kids find somewhere else to be.

How much of that is also on the parents who think their kid should be on the field every play or utilized completely differently.  I unfortunanlty got to witness that first hand at the game last friday.  Wanted to tell them so badly that you put your best athletes on the field to make the best possible play.   

12 minutes ago, stu_bean said:

How much of that is also on the parents who think their kid should be on the field every play or utilized completely differently.  I unfortunanlty got to witness that first hand at the game last friday.  Wanted to tell them so badly that you put your best athletes on the field to make the best possible play.   

I wasn't as clear as I could have been. Typically, youth coaches are the parents. Many drive their kids away from sports before the kid reaches high school. But you're right, parents are equally to blame. It some cases, more-so than anyone else.

18 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

That 2016 Appomattox team is arguably the best 2A team in VHSL history.  I’m not sure it’s a winning argument, but you can make it and support it without immediately being discarded.  They beat Heritage (Lynchburg), who was a 4A region finalist that season.  They had 1 close game against Dan River.  They obliterated everyone else.  

We beat Rustburg 17-6 who I think that year was the Number 1 seed in their region in 3A

Heritage 29-21 (game was 22-0 at half and the hot humid conditions had out starters (two way players) dropping like flies- Heritage "out benched" us in the second half to bring the score close) who went a couple rounds into the playoffs in 3A

Altavista 42-13 (they went 11-4 that year)

Amherst 35-12 who went a couple rounds into the playoffs in 4A

Goochland (who was undefeated) we beat 45-13 in the state semi game.

Richlands for the tile 42-7.

Riverheads was good too though but I wouldn't bet against that group from Appomattox.  They didn't love winning as much as they HATED the thought of losing, winning was just the by-product. 

The only time I seen a team that would have a chance  at winning  a state title  in multiple  classes  would have been the Appomattox team in 2016 I thinks the year....they were very  good...I did say that I've seen with my own eyes so I'm sure they probably have been  more.but that Appomattox team was the best team I seen .

8 hours ago, #1BLUESFAN said:

The only time I seen a team that would have a chance  at winning  a state title  in multiple  classes  would have been the Appomattox team in 2016 I thinks the year....they were very  good...I did say that I've seen with my own eyes so I'm sure they probably have been  more.but that Appomattox team was the best team I seen .

I'm not so sure PV couldn't have done it in 1997. They beat the D3 champion easily and beat the D4 semi finalist by 40. 

2 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

I'm not so sure PV couldn't have done it in 1997. They beat the D3 champion easily and beat the D4 semi finalist by 40. 

I saw PV in 97.  My money on the Vikings to win 1 through 4 that year.  For sure 1 through 3,  Close 50-50 game against a couple of the Div 4 teams.

No doubt PV would have won 1-3 and I would have been surprised to see them lose in D4 that year.  Wouldn't have beat Hampton in 6 and can't remember who won 5 but that would probably have been a tall order.

That Broadway team that GC faced in the D3 state finals I am not sure would have won too many districts in SWVA that year.

37 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

No doubt PV would have won 1-3 and I would have been surprised to see them lose in D4 that year.  Wouldn't have beat Hampton in 6 and can't remember who won 5 but that would probably have been a tall order.

That Broadway team that GC faced in the D3 state finals I am not sure would have won too many districts in SWVA that year.

Hampton was AAA/Div 5 and in 97, was voted in at least one poll as the number one High School team in America.  AAA/Div 6 had Robinson and Kecoughtan playing for the state title.  Kecoughtan had one of its best teams in history and lost to Robinson 14-7, on the exact same field that Hampton and Lee Sugg's William Fleming team played for the title (Norfolk State's Newly Built Home Stadium). Kecoughtan lost 27-7 to Hampton in regular season and was Hampton's closest game that year. "K" tan was coached by Curt Newsome (later to go on to James Madison and Va Tech) and they outplayed Robinson.  I was there.  Newsome and Hampton's Mike Smith were like brothers, best men in each other's weddings and "K" tan played the first game to Robinson and lost.  For the second contest which was Hampton vs Fleming, Curt Newsome was on the sidelines with his green Kecoughtan Sweatshirt and a Red Hampton High Crabbers hat and not only did he stand beside Mike Smith, they actually gave him a radio headset and he was evidently in contact/filled in as being apart of the Hampton High Coaching Staff.  For Hampton, still the best High School Football team I've ever seen in all my time.  They took Fleming apart and that Hampton High team eventually had 7 players play Div 1 football at some level or another.  Late in the game, Suggs did break one for about 80 yds and it looked like he shot out of a cannon.  I knew then the Hokies were stumbling onto gold with the Suggs commit.

10 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Hampton was Div 5 or AAA, Div 5 and in 97, was voted in at least one poll as the number one High School team in America.  AAA/Div 6 had Robinson and Kecoughtan playing for the state title.  Kecoughtan had one of its best teams in history and lost to Robinson 14-7, on the exact same field that Hampton and Lee Sugg's William Fleming team played for the title. Kecoughtan lost 27-7 to Hampton in regular season and was Hampton's closest game that year. 

My mistake.  I was thinking Hampton was the 6A team instead.  The funny part about that is I would love to look back at their all district teams as I believe Warwick and Hampton were in the same district.  Meaning most likely Mike Vick was probably the 2nd Team All District QB.

1 hour ago, 1inStripes said:

My mistake.  I was thinking Hampton was the 6A team instead.  The funny part about that is I would love to look back at their all district teams as I believe Warwick and Hampton were in the same district.  Meaning most likely Mike Vick was probably the 2nd Team All District QB.

He was.  Vick was also voted the 4th ranked QB in America and a 5 star by Superprep.  Curry was the number one ranked QB in America and a 5 star.  The Peninsula District was vicious man.  That year, Kecoughtan beat Warwick 14-7 in a defensive battle.  Kecoughtan and Curt Newsome were known for their wicked defenses.  Michael Vick and Warwick had 3 touchdowns called back at Todd Stadium in Newport News due to holds, and all three of them were legit holds.  Vick was running for his life and they just couldn't block the Warriors.  At that time, and looking back over the years about Vick and Curry, and many people asking "did you think or know Vick was going to be that good at that time."  My answer has always been YES.  I equally thought Ronald Curry would be as good.  Curry still had a great run as a wide receiver in the league, and I think he could have been an All Pro Defensive Back, if he would have started on defense.  Ferguson, later Warwick High, always had a shaky OL and Vick was running for his life and would still make plays. 

Where Vick really came to national recognition and the realization by pretty much every fan who watched him that day was in the Va High School Football All-Star Game at Darling Stadium in Hampton in the summer of 1998.  I remember setting fairly close to Graham's Glynn Carlock in that game and talked to him briefly about his G-Men.  Vick absolutely stole the show in that game with the regular video game type plays he made at Virginia Tech and in the NFL.  At that moment, in my opinion, at least by the fans in the stadium that watched that game, Vick was immediately elevated to the level of Ronald Curry and you knew, he was going to be something very special.  At the game, since Graham and Powell Valley or Union is seemingly brought up in every thread, lol, Powell Valley's Robins and Graham's Carlock and Central Lunenburgs Chippy Chappel all set with one another.  I seem to recall a kid named "Jones" who also played in that game.  I don't know how many future NFL players were on the field that day.  Hampton High had 3, you had Vick, Jones, and from up North, Robinson had 1, a couple from Richmond, etc.  Somebody told me later on how many future NFL players played in that All-Star game and I forgot over the years.  Might have been as high as 10.  Jake Houseright, I think was also in that game and he was also a High School All American, but a knee injury cut his Sunday future short.

16 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

I saw PV in 97.  My money on the Vikings to win 1 through 4 that year.  For sure 1 through 3,  Close 50-50 game against a couple of the Div 4 teams.

I am gonna have to agree with you on this! One of the toughest football teams I've seen in my time.  I'll have to say Julius Jones was great, but the most under rated player to play at Powell Valley was on this team, and that was Matt McCoy. He wasn't flashy, but he could change the momentum of a game in a drop of a hat!! Overall team was just amazing.

1 hour ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

He was.  Vick was also voted the 4th ranked QB in America and a 5 star by Superprep.  Curry was the number one ranked QB in America and a 5 star.  The Peninsula District was vicious man.  That year, Kecoughtan beat Warwick 14-7 in a defensive battle.  Kecoughtan and Curt Newsome were known for their wicked defenses.  Michael Vick and Warwick had 3 touchdowns called back at Todd Stadium in Newport News due to holds, and all three of them were legit holds.  Vick was running for his life and they just couldn't block the Warriors.  At that time, and looking back over the years about Vick and Curry, and many people asking "did you think or know Vick was going to be that good at that time."  My answer has always been YES.  I equally thought Ronald Curry would be as good.  Curry still had a great run as a wide receiver in the league, and I think he could have been an All Pro Defensive Back, if he would have started on defense.  Ferguson, later Warwick High, always had a shaky OL and Vick was running for his life and would still make plays. 

Where Vick really came to national recognition and the realization by pretty much every fan who watched him that day was in the Va High School Football All-Star Game at Darling Stadium in Hampton in the summer of 1998.  I remember setting fairly close to Graham's Glynn Carlock in that game and talked to him briefly about his G-Men.  Vick absolutely stole the show in that game with the regular video game type plays he made at Virginia Tech and in the NFL.  At that moment, in my opinion, at least by the fans in the stadium that watched that game, Vick was immediately elevated to the level of Ronald Curry and you knew, he was going to be something very special.  At the game, since Graham and Powell Valley or Union is seemingly brought up in every thread, lol, Powell Valley's Robins and Graham's Carlock and Central Lunenburgs Chippy Chappel all set with one another.  I seem to recall a kid named "Jones" who also played in that game.  I don't know how many future NFL players were on the field that day.  Hampton High had 3, you had Vick, Jones, and from up North, Robinson had 1, a couple from Richmond, etc.  Somebody told me later on how many future NFL players played in that All-Star game and I forgot over the years.  Might have been as high as 10.  Jake Houseright, I think was also in that game and he was also a High School All American, but a knee injury cut his Sunday future short.

Those Hampton High Teams were great.  I saw them in 1996 when working in the shipyard down there.  They were voted 2 times in the 90's, I think 96 and 97 as the number one team in the nation at season's end by at least one national high school football poll.  Also, many may not know this, but in 1985, Hampton High was also voted at season's end, as the number one High School Football team in the country in one High School Football Poll.  So, over Mike Smith's run, aside from all of the State Titles, he's actually won 3 national titles!!!  

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Think you got your years mixed up,  I believe those 3 graduated separate years. But none the less,  great players

Probably.  To old to remember at this point. I think Julius last season was 98, and graduating in 99.  Houseright's last yr at GC was 97, graduated in 98, freshmen at VT in 98.  Suggs was the same as Julius I think, last year at Fleming was 98, graduated in 99, freshmen at VT in 99.  

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Think you got your years mixed up,  I believe those 3 graduated separate years. But none the less,  great players

Not sure who or what you are addressing this too. If it's the Vick/Curry information, they both graduated high school in 1997. Ronald Curry was not only an All-American in basketball and football, he was awarded the Dial High School Athlete of the Year for 1997/1998, was the MVP of the MCDonald's All-American game and won the dunk contest.

Vick and Curry same year, last High School Football seasons were 97, the graduated in the spring of 1998.  Suggs last season was the same as Julius Jones, last season was 98, graduated High School in 99.  Houseright last season was 97, graduated high school in spring 98.  

As for Hampton's national titles in 96 and 97, in 1985, the were voted at season's end, the number one team in America by the World Features Syndicate National Prep Poll.  That poll started it's first year in 1984, then went away after 1985, then came back in 1987 or 1988 and lasted for about 30 years, and is known today as the Prep National Poll.  The World Features Syndicate had a bit of a homer voting.  A guy named Tony Mercurio known as "The Blastman" was a long time radio sports guy in the Tidewater Area that announced High School Football (mostly the Hampton schools) and he was at one time, the Voice of ODU, and called many of ODU's women's nationally prominent basketball teams games, including hosting a longtime sports radio show in the Tidewater.  He was one of the lead contributors to the World Features Syndicate Poll and greatly helped Hampton get that 1985 number one ranking.  That Hampton of 1985 team was known as one of the best defensive teams to ever come out of the Tidewater.  They had something like 6 shutouts and 10 out of 14 games where opponents scored 7 points or less, and their schedule was crazy tough, featuring back then, great teams like GW Danville, Deep Creek, Kempsville, Green Run, TC Williams, etc.  Just a gauntlet week to week.  I wasn't old enough to see that 85 team, but I remember Hampton fans still talking about it in the 90's.