Greatest game(s) you’ve seen in person

UnionGuy2017

15 hours ago, Dawg01 said:

1997 Appalachia at Powell Valley. I was apart of that game. 9-0 and number 1 in the state at 9-0 and number 2 in the state instant classic 20 to 14 in favor of the vikings. Bullet Park magic happened that night.

did thomas jones play in that game, if so i was there that night,   he would toy with the appy D

6 minutes ago, stantheman said:

did thomas jones play in that game, if so i was there that night,   he would toy with the appy D

TJ graduated in 96, making 95 his last season for PV.  His younger brother Julius Jones played in the 97 game.

3 hours ago, -oo- said:

I also left the VT/Nebraska game early. Was getting on the bus when I heard a roar from the crowd. Missed out on that one.

I left the VT/UVa game early several years back on Black Friday.  I could hear the roar from Lane Stadium as I was getting on the on ramp to get on 460.  I looked at my girlfriend at the time and said, "Welp, guess we came back and won that one."  I was so disgusted with myself for leaving that one early.  But it looked for all the world that UVa had finally broken the streak and were going to win it.  I never leave games early anymore.  Even if its mercy rule.

1994 Narrows at Fort Chiswell

Week 11 at Fort.  Fort win - they clinch a playoff spot as outright MED champs.  Narrows win - clinch a playoff spot as the 4 seed, claim part of a 3 way tie along with Fort and Bland for MED Championship.  Down 21-6 in the 1st quarter, Narrows came back and won on a busted trick play on 4th and 9 on it's 35 in the final minute.  Without this comeback, the deepest playoff run at Narrows doesn't happen.  I have video of this game in it's entirety but no way at present to upload it.  Included Roanoke Times write up:

https://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/ROA-Times/issues/1994/rt9411/941112/11120061.htm

2 hours ago, stu_bean said:

Can anybody give some context of what happened and why in this situation?

Had something to do with Wise coming thru goal posts after being told not to was what I've been told but truthfully every team just didn't like them

Off the top of my head and with some of the years missing, because it's been a day or two since I was at the game. They're also in no particular order...

1968 - Gate City at Appy. I stood with my dad and brother up next to the gym trying to watch because of the crowd. We had to park on the side of the road a mile or so towards Blackwood. The game ended in a 6-6 tie.

1969 - Appy 12 Gate City 0 at Gate City

1969 - Gate City 30 PV 24 at Gate City. A frantic PV 4th quarter rally comes up short

1973 - Madison Co 23  Clintwood 22 in the state title game at Bullitt Park, with the aid of a highly questionable interference call or non-call IIRC. 

1982 - JJ Kelly 19 Purry/Parry McCluer 14 as Kelly hits a TD pass in the closing moments.

1985 - PV 28 Lunenburg 27 @ Bullitt Park. PV stops a Charger 2 point PAT with around a minute to go. When asked by reporters why they didn't kick to tie, Chippie Chappel said something to the effect of "they 4 and 5 yarded us to death all day. I didn't see us winning a series of 10 yard scrimmages against them".

1988 - Jonesville 21 Strasburg 20 at Bullitt Park. The stunned look on the faces of the Strasburg fans standing at the fence next to me was priceless. The thought Jonesville was a joke, in spite of what I told them before the game. 

1981 - Clintwood 8 PV 7 at Clintwood. Clintwood gets a safety on the last play of the game for the win. 

1982 - PV 14  Madison Co 13 at Western Albamarle. PV survives a last second chip shot FG attempt. To be fair to the MC kicker, the nose of the football was almost on the goal line and he had a terrible angle. 

1989 - Robbie Duncan to Ricky Webb in the corner of the end zone as PV roars down the field in the closing minute to beat Lunenburg again.

1970 - Gate City 16 Dublin 8 at GC in the 1st round. It would be the closest game GC would have that year.

1994 - PV 34 Lebanon 33  at Lebanon

1997 - PV 20 Appy 14 at Bullitt Park. Truly a shame either had to lose, and IIRC, Gate City and Graham went on to win their state titles as well.

2006?  Riverheads 21  JI Burton 20 at JMU. A terrible unsportsmanlike conduct call may have cost Burton a state title.

2017 - Appomattox 24  Union 21 at Bullitt Park. Union's special teams cost them this one.

2010 thru today. Just about any given Union v Richlands game with several bizarre, heart stopping endings.

2012 - Elizabethton 41  Sullivan North 38 at Betsy. This was the 3rd round of the playoffs and it was a valiant effort by Robbie Norris and his Raiders in a game that IIRC went 3 OT.

2009? Giles Co 21  Greeneville 14 in the TSSAA 4A title game. Future Ole Miss QB Bo Wallace throws a game winning 80 yard TD with 3 minutes to go on a cold, windy day in Cookville.

2011? Sevier Co 35  Dobyns Bennett 28 in the 2nd round. D-B races out to a 28-0 halftime lead and loses 35-28. 

2010? Daytona Beach Mainland 28  Deland 21 Both came in at 9-0 and there was something like 15 total players in this one who went on to play at the FBS level. 

2012? New Smyrna Beach 24  Daytona Beach Mainland 21 at NSB. The Cudas drive down the field and throw a 30+ yard game winning TD with maybe 5 seconds left.

2021 - Cocoa 42  Vero Beach 41 at Vero in 2 OT. The Tigers for two and get the win.

2021 - Cocoa 56  Treasure Coast 55 at Cocoa in 4 OT. Just like with Vero, Cocoa wins it with a 2 point conversion.

2021 - Cocoa 20 Rockledge 14 at Rockledge. It was like a vintage Appy - PV game with a huge crowd and rivals that are located less than 5 miles apart. 

2012 - Apopka 53  Cypress Bay 50 at the Citrus Bowl in the Class 8A title game. I got whiplash watching these two go back and forth. 

2 minutes ago, JDHoss said:

Off the top of my head and with some of the years missing, because it's been a day or two since I was at the game. They're also in no particular order...

1968 - Gate City at Appy. I stood with my dad and brother up next to the gym trying to watch because of the crowd. We had to park on the side of the road a mile or so towards Blackwood. The game ended in a 6-6 tie.

1969 - Appy 12 Gate City 0 at Gate City

1969 - Gate City 30 PV 24 at Gate City. A frantic PV 4th quarter rally comes up short

1973 - Madison Co 23  Clintwood 22 in the state title game at Bullitt Park, with the aid of a highly questionable interference call or non-call IIRC. 

1982 - JJ Kelly 19 Purry/Parry McCluer 14 as Kelly hits a TD pass in the closing moments.

1985 - PV 28 Lunenburg 27 @ Bullitt Park. PV stops a Charger 2 point PAT with around a minute to go. When asked by reporters why they didn't kick to tie, Chippie Chappel said something to the effect of "they 4 and 5 yarded us to death all day. I didn't see us winning a series of 10 yard scrimmages against them".

1988 - Jonesville 21 Strasburg 20 at Bullitt Park. The stunned look on the faces of the Strasburg fans standing at the fence next to me was priceless. The thought Jonesville was a joke, in spite of what I told them before the game. 

1981 - Clintwood 8 PV 7 at Clintwood. Clintwood gets a safety on the last play of the game for the win. 

1982 - PV 14  Madison Co 13 at Western Albamarle. PV survives a last second chip shot FG attempt. To be fair to the MC kicker, the nose of the football was almost on the goal line and he had a terrible angle. 

1989 - Robbie Duncan to Ricky Webb in the corner of the end zone as PV roars down the field in the closing minute to beat Lunenburg again.

1970 - Gate City 16 Dublin 8 at GC in the 1st round. It would be the closest game GC would have that year.

1994 - PV 34 Lebanon 33  at Lebanon

1997 - PV 20 Appy 14 at Bullitt Park. Truly a shame either had to lose, and IIRC, Gate City and Graham went on to win their state titles as well.

2006?  Riverheads 21  JI Burton 20 at JMU. A terrible unsportsmanlike conduct call may have cost Burton a state title.

2017 - Appomattox 24  Union 21 at Bullitt Park. Union's special teams cost them this one.

2010 thru today. Just about any given Union v Richlands game with several bizarre, heart stopping endings.

2012 - Elizabethton 41  Sullivan North 38 at Betsy. This was the 3rd round of the playoffs and it was a valiant effort by Robbie Norris and his Raiders in a game that IIRC went 3 OT.

2009? Gile Co 21  Greeneville 14 in the TSSAA 4A title game. Future Ole Miss QB Bo Wallace throws a game winning 80 yard TD with 3 minutes to go on a cold, windy day in Cookville.

2011? Sevier Co 35  Dobyns Bennett 28 in the 2nd round. D-B races out to a 28-0 halftime lead and loses 35-28. 

2010? Daytona Beach Mainland 28  Deland 21 Both came in at 9-0 and there was something like 15 total players in this one who went on to play at the FBS level. 

2012? New Smyrna Beach 24  Daytona Beach Mainland 21 at NSB. The Cudas drive down the field and throw a 30+ yard game winning TD with maybe 5 seconds left.

2021 - Cocoa 42  Vero Beach 41 at Vero in 2 OT. The Tigers for two and get the win.

2021 - Cocoa 56  Treasure Coast 55 at Cocoa in 4 OT. Just like with Vero, Cocoa wins it with a 2 point conversion.

2021 - Cocoa 20 Rockledge 14 at Rockledge. It was like a vintage Appy - PV game with a huge crowd and rivals that are located less than 5 miles apart. 

2012 - Apopka 53  Cypress Bay 50 at the Citrus Bowl in the Class 8A title game. I got whiplash watching these two go back and forth. 

I'd love to see film of the 68 Appy GC game.  Heard they're was around 12k at the game and of course would've loved to see the Stonega Stallion play

1 hour ago, SW_VA_boy said:

1994 Narrows at Fort Chiswell

Week 11 at Fort.  Fort win - they clinch a playoff spot as outright MED champs.  Narrows win - clinch a playoff spot as the 4 seed, claim part of a 3 way tie along with Fort and Bland for MED Championship.  Down 21-6 in the 1st quarter, Narrows came back and won on a busted trick play on 4th and 9 on it's 35 in the final minute.  Without this comeback, the deepest playoff run at Narrows doesn't happen.  I have video of this game in it's entirety but no way at present to upload it.  Included Roanoke Times write up:

https://scholar.lib.vt.edu/VA-news/ROA-Times/issues/1994/rt9411/941112/11120061.htm

That was a good narrows team...but I will always remember the sign some lady had in their yard..taking a shot at us

We're playing

You're staying

Classic!!!

Forgot a couple games earlier 

89 Appy Bath Co. game Bath Co. was 12-0 and Appy was 7-5 and just 3 and 4 yarded them to death

94 PV Appy game.  Appy scored late down 1 and Turner sacked on 2 point conversion

89 PV Lunenburg Hail Mary game

I'm dating myself here but 1978 Rich Valley hosting Parry McCluer for the Region C title, we lost 7-0 in a freaking monsoon that likely cost us the game because it totally took our O out of it. I know what ifs are always everybody's go to but that year was special for our little community and it was awesome to have been a part of it. 

42 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

That was a good narrows team...but I will always remember the sign some lady had in their yard..taking a shot at us

We're playing

You're staying

Classic!!!

Damn shame the injury bug hit Giles when it did.  That Narrows Giles game that year was a a damn good one too.  I'll never forget Keith Morris tripping on the sprinkler head divot on the post route late.  He had his man beat and it would've been 6.   

26 minutes ago, rjhall71 said:

I'm dating myself here but 1978 Rich Valley hosting Parry McCluer for the Region C title, we lost 7-0 in a freaking monsoon that likely cost us the game because it totally took our O out of it. I know what ifs are always everybody's go to but that year was special for our little community and it was awesome to have been a part of it. 

Was this the same year of the Fries game when Mike Keith scored all 42 of Rich Valley's points? Anyway, that entire '78 team was a special group. Many Marion fans, myself included, always pulled for the Steers. 

7 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Was this the same year of the Fries game when Mike Keith scored all 42 of Rich Valley's points? Anyway, that entire '78 team was a special group. Many Marion fans, myself included, always pulled for the Steers. 

Yes it was, that was a special year and a special team! In fact Keith got a mention in Sports Illustrated for his performance against Fries. IMO Keith is the greatest all around athlete this county has ever seen and a top 5 in SWVA. 

25 minutes ago, rjhall71 said:

Yes it was, that was a special year and a special team! In fact Keith got a mention in Sports Illustrated for his performance against Fries. IMO Keith is the greatest all around athlete this county has ever seen and a top 5 in SWVA. 

At one time, I had that issue of S.I. with Mike Keith in 'Faces in the Crowd".  As you well know, it didn't matter the sport (football, basketball, baseball, track), he could do everything much better than anybody else. Off the top of my head, these are the best all around athletes from each of Smyth County's High Schools: the late Mike Keith-Rich Valley (1979), Johnny Wilson-Marion (1976), the late Gregg Belcher-Chilhowie (1981), Yogi Arnold-Saltville (1975), and the late Jon Griffin-Northwood (1994). 

I agree, Mike Keith was likely the best of the bunch.

8 hours ago, GmanFan said:

Can think of 2 pretty good ones at Mitchell stadium. Need help with the years though. Bluefield and Martinsburg. Both ranked number one in AA and AAA. Nate Sowers was qb for Martinsburg. Bluefield won 42-35 I think. The other was Graham and Gate City maybe late 90’s. Triple overtime. Gate City had Houseright. Gate city won that one. 

8 hours ago, GmanFan said:

Can think of 2 pretty good ones at Mitchell stadium. Need help with the years though. Bluefield and Martinsburg. Both ranked number one in AA and AAA. Nate Sowers was qb for Martinsburg. Bluefield won 42-35 I think. The other was Graham and Gate City maybe late 90’s. Triple overtime. Gate City had Houseright. Gate city won that one. 

Mine was last year at the Hoover Met Stadium (where Michael Jordan played his minor league baseball home games). 16k people showed up!

Hoover (9-0) played Thompson (9-0 #4 in the country) for 1st place in Alabama 7A. Hoover was historically one of the top teams in 7a but Thompson had came on the scene and played for the state championship for 3 years straight.

This game had 20+ players that held division 1 offers, including Thompson’s FOUR!!! 5 star defensive players. 

game was back and forth the whole time. It always seemed like Thompson would pull away but Hoover would always come up with a big stop. For some reason Thompson only played the 5 star guys on defense, even when they really needed a couple yards. 

Hoover led a 4th qt. Comeback drive and threw a touchdown with a few seconds remaining. I’m including a tweet with the video of the touchdown pass and another one of the crowd pano. 

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

I'd love to see film of the 68 Appy GC game.  Heard they're was around 12k at the game and of course would've loved to see the Stonega Stallion play

I wouldn't doubt it. It was shoulder to shoulder even up where we were standing. That was a game played by grown men.