Rain in the forecast for Friday.

Real Sasquatch

3 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I say play in the rain! Nothing can be worse than playing at Marion back in 2018 I believe. It was a mud fest and you couldn’t even make out numbers on jerseys. I’ve never been at a game quite like that. 

I went to that one.  The kids cleats were coming off and getting stuck in the mud.

15 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I went to that one.  The kids cleats were coming off and getting stuck in the mud.

It was pretty bad even for spectators having to walk through the “field” to get to the bleachers. I’m sure there have been worse but I can’t remember one in recent memory. 

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

It was pretty bad even for spectators having to walk through the “field” to get to the bleachers. I’m sure there have been worse but I can’t remember one in recent memory. 

That one was a mud bowl for sure. I think Marion vs VA High during the Covid season was like a 4 hour rain delay then they went out and played. That one may have been worst

6 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

That one was a mud bowl for sure. I think Marion vs VA High during the Covid season was like a 4 hour rain delay then they went out and played. That one may have been worst

My favorite game was during that weird covid year where there were football games during early April and the spring sports just started up. And it decided to snow during the Marion vs Lebanon game and the field was completely covered by halftime

I know one thing, RV gets super foggy when the weather is rainy. A few years ago central came to the ridge and they played the game when we couldn’t even see the players on the field from the home side. It was crazy, because I think Central fans could see more. We would hear them get loud and cheer but wouldn’t know what was going on. They did beat RV that game as well. Happened last year when JIB played RV as well. 

Hurricane Stadium's football/baseball field is notorious for its lack of drainage. I'd guess it's a thin layer of compacted topsoil atop a former hardpan river bottom. Anytime it rains, the stormwater will pond for days. A late fall rainy spell coupled with heavily-damaged turf turned the field into a quagmire for the Graham game. It's the worst field conditions I've ever seen. I used to have a pic, but it didn't transfer to my new phone.

20 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

What if I told you guys that it was ok to play in the rain?

I think it's more for the fans.  Can't speak for everyone but at Union the hardcore fans are all that shows up in the rain.  Alot of our fans are older so they just listen on radio

We've seen this more and more over the past decade or so. Athletic departments have realized that you cannot add another way to deter the already shrinking crowds in the area. Interest is already down, our populations in the area are shrinking and, there are so many more ways to consume the game than showing up to the stadium on Friday. Remember that most athletic departments' "break-even" point heavily depends on the gate success of 2 sports. By changing a date due to weather, they are protecting their interests, the local businesses who sponsor the advertisements you see around stadiums and in programs(do they still sell programs?), and most importantly the safety of the student-athletes that this silly board and passionate fanbases rally around.   When one of those sports takes place in extremely variable conditions, those 4 or 5 home dates become even more valuable in creating the most ideal environment to get Joe Townsperson's $7 at the gate and $5 to support the band for popcorn and a pop, Tommy Insurance Agent's ad seen, or keeping Jimmy Football healthy for a deep playoff run. 

Kudos to the AD's in Southwestern VA/Northeast TN.  Moving games UP instead of back and then not having any lead way in case the "moving back" date falls through and next thing you know, you are into Monday and in panic mode.  Just my opinion on this though.  I like the idea of moving games UP to Thursday to give yourself some lead way in case the awful happens Saturday or Monday. 

I wonder how many volleyball games will get switched to Friday. For officiating purposes that probably needs to happen.  The Cumberland is done with the regular season so that should help some.  Covering these games could get difficult if many more make the switch this afternoon.

On 10/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, Liam McPoyle said:

Hurricane Stadium's football/baseball field is notorious for its lack of drainage. I'd guess it's a thin layer of compacted topsoil atop a former hardpan river bottom. Anytime it rains, the stormwater will pond for days. A late fall rainy spell coupled with heavily-damaged turf turned the field into a quagmire for the Graham game. It's the worst field conditions I've ever seen. I used to have a pic, but it didn't transfer to my new phone.

Am I the only one to see the irony in the stadium name?

On 10/17/2023 at 11:41 AM, Liam McPoyle said:

Marion spent well over $10,000 to fix that problem with new French drains about 4 years ago. I think it was actually because of that graham game and the fact the infield turned into a pound after a light drizzle. They put French drains from left field down through where the short stops plays, one that runs from center underneath the away bleachers and one down the visitors sideline because of how bad it was at that Graham game. However in true Smyth county fashion they took bids and picked the cheapest option.. that option was a start up company that had no clue what they were doing. The result was the drains being too shallow, golf ball size rocks that just pop up on the infield, the grass above the drains being dead in March, and about a 6 inch deep rut where those drains where put in. It is an absolute miracle no one has broken an ankle in the outfield or in foul territory behind 3rd during baseball season. Oh yeah and the drains don’t work forgot to mention that 

58 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

The Loris Lions game  with Manning is being played tonight at 7:30 p.m. due to the impending weather.

Lord willing, will be watching Giles/Tazewell and listening to Loris.

The Loris link is tigerradio.com for anyone who may want to tune in.  

I will be doing opposite of you. Wife and I are in Grand Strand for the week and we're going to Loris tonight to watch the Lions and Manning, and will be watching the Spartans on NFHS on phone. I just hope Tazewell got the game moved/set up appropriately on NFHS with the schedule change so I can watch it. When games get moved from original dates, the ADs sometimes forget to make the adjustment on NFHS and it's not watchable. The Giles/Tazewell game is listed on NFHS for tonight, so that's a good sign.