Riverheads vs Radford

nrv_football

Who you got? Has Riverheads seen a pass happy team like Radford this year? Radford has a clear advantage with speed and fly's to the ball on defense.  Can Radford slow down CCC? Can Riverheads slow down the Radford passing attack?

Radford will be able to score on Riverheads. This won’t be Riverheads completely shutting them down for four quarters. Radford will be in control for parts of the game. I think Riverheads ultimately wins. They’re used to being there, and I think that will be the difference.

I'll go Radford in a close one. I think either team can win and no surprise whoever wins. Two very solid teams. Both have a super senior leader. I value the QB more than the RB because of the way football is played today. 

Radford by 7 points. I like Radford slightly because of the athletes they have and ability to spread Riverheads out, and Radfords rush defense seems pretty good and that will help against the best rushing offense in the state in Riverheads. No surprise if Riverheads wins though.

Objectively looking at a few items from this game from my view:

Speed-Radford 

Defense against the others strength- Radford

Big Play Capability- Radford

Title Game experience- Riverheads 

Based on these Radford has to be favored. Can Radford consistently run their offense mistake free, while stopping Riverheads from scoring? Based on what we have all seen so far that would seem to be the case. My opinion is that will not necessarily be what happens but that’s why we play the game. 

Radford is extremely athletic and have done what was expected by most once this season started. Riverheads has somewhat out performed what was expected this first year in 2A. There were a few people outside of Riverheads that thought this was possible but not many.  

I feel this game is closer than some might think. Radford is the favorite but I think the Gladiators find a way to win some kind of way. 

I hope Radford wins. I think they have a good chance to complete a perfect season! If Riverheads cannot defend the pass decently and Radford’s defense can clog up the run game of the Riverheads, I think Radford in a close one. The main advantage the Riverheads have is experience, they’ve been on that stage and they won’t panic. I think they would like nothing better than to prove everyone wrong that said they couldn’t hang with Class 2A. In the end, they may very well do that. They are a disciplined well-oiled machine! 

How many times over the past 8 seasons have we said ‘Riverheads run ends here. They can’t match up with…..”?

Every single time, Riverheads does more than match up. They win more often than not. Lord Botetourt, Christiansburg, Stuart’s Draft, Central Woodstock, Poquoson, Glenvar……

At what point do we give them the credit they deserve and stop projecting with wishful thinking?

Bold take maybe but I don’t believe this game will be very close. Riverheads by more than two TD’s. 

24 minutes ago, sixcat said:

How many times over the past 8 seasons have we said ‘Riverheads run ends here. They can’t match up with…..”?

Every single time, Riverheads does more than match up. They win more often than not. Lord Botetourt, Christiansburg, Stuart’s Draft, Central Woodstock, Poquoson, Glenvar……

At what point do we give them the credit they deserve and stop projecting with wishful thinking?

Bold take maybe but I don’t believe this game will be very close. Riverheads by more than two TD’s. 

They are a very rare juggernaut that honestly, if they win Saturday, deserve some national attention at what they have done. 

Having to have watched Galax play Riverheads  for the past 7 years I cannot explain just how Freaking maddening it is to defend  that offense. You stop it and they make a slight blocking adjustment and bust a long run. To beat Riverheads you have to be able to run against them. So Radford will have to mix it up and be successful when they have the ball, as they won’t get it often. 

Riverheads offense is really hard to defend  for 4 quarters, they start making small blocking adjustments and the other team seems to get frustrated and starts having kids being out of place and then they break one. People always talk about their offense but the defense is usually on point as well and rarely gets the credit it deserves. They will have their hands full trying to defend Radford but I'd say the coaches will have a good game plan and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't have another ring after Saturday.

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

I would never bet a single red penny vs that red machine. I'd like to see Radford win it, but I think RH wins a good one 28-21

12 hours ago, sixcat said:

Finally someone with some sense. I agree 100% with all of this. Great year for Radford, can’t take anything away from them, but end of the day RH is better and has been preparing for state games almost a decade, this week will be like any week this time of year for RH. In Radford it’ll be all kinds of commotion and people talking about this and that and what ifs. In RH it’s just practice as normal and greasing the wheels. Been there done that.

After seeing Radford play and then watching video of Riverheads playing I gotta go with Riverheads. What I see is the ability to drive 4 and 5 yards at a time taking lots of time off the clock. Another thing I notice is that their offensive line seems to wear down the opposing defense as the game goes on - this leads to bigger plays in the 2nd half and allows them to pull away. 

1st half will be even probably tied up heading into half. 2nd half Riverheads begins to wear down the defense and one mistake by Radford allows Riverheads to jump ahead- Riverheads 35 Radford 29

On 12/3/2023 at 5:57 PM, sixcat said:

Not trying to argue but I don’t remember anyone saying their run is coming to an end just a lot of complaining about their classification.  

42 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Not trying to argue but I don’t remember anyone saying their run is coming to an end just a lot of complaining about their classification.  

Below is collection of quotes from the past year predicting the struggles of Riverheads in 2A.

"Riverheads days of domination will be over come next season."

"Riverheads beat George Wythe but will get absolutely smacked by most 2A teams."

"Riverheads cannot compete with the top teams in 2A. They will find out soon enough when they get to play Appomattox, Graham, Glenvar..etc.. They been bullying around those smaller 1A teams for too long"

"One could tell the Riverheads to enjoy the big dance this year because they may not even make it to the floor next year in 2A."

"I've said for awhile now that they (Riverheads) couldn't hang in Group 2, and apparently they know it  " 

"Riverheads finishes 3rd or 4th in 2D last year."

"Riverheads is a 7--3 team !  At Best !"

I was guilty of it. There’s always a pretty decent gap from 1A to 2A and I felt like the depth before the state title game would prove to be a realistic obstacle as it did in their last 2A foray. 

I was wrong this year, there’s zero doubt they’re one of the 1-3 best teams in 2A. Next year will kinda be the true test without CCC but can anyone bet that they wont reload and be one of the four teams left standing next year and going forward. 

8 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

You must not have a very good memory!!!