Long way to go, But Football season is never over- Who are the three best teams and three best rebuilding teams?

TnT+h

On 12/6/2023 at 7:52 AM, stu_bean said:

Taz loses Brody Patterson and Tyler Gillespie which are two stellar players on both sides the ball.  Taylor, Ziegler, and Alley on both sides as well.  Rizzo who was a beast on the line and some other talented players that I know Im leaving out as well. Some big losses to have to fill in but still quite a bit of offensive firepower.  Just have to fill in the holes and see what happens.

I remember looking at Tazewells roster and seeing that their top 3 or 4 pass catchers were seniors. Creasy might find out next year what Reese felt like this year. IF the stats are the same without all those weapons and he end up breaking that VHSL record POY should be a not contest. 

5 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

I remember looking at Tazewells roster and seeing that their top 3 or 4 pass catchers were seniors. Creasy might find out next year what Reese felt like this year. IF the stats are the same without all those weapons and he end up breaking that VHSL record POY should be a not contest. 

He still has McDonald which was his overall top receiver

9 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

He still has some targets with McDonald being the top one. There is still Mullins, (the other) Patterson, McGuire, and Snap. Fill in a good RB they should fill out well.

I'm not sure if there is a clear top 3 Graham and Union are the teams to beat respectively in both district

Second tier- can hang with the top tier should have better athletes than everyone else 

Tazewell- QB and best WR is back so they can still score on the lower tiers at any moment but graduation did take away some of Creasy's weapons. I expect this next season to look a lot like Harris senior year. How can we get McDonald the ball

Gate City- On the rise. Bledsoe graduates which is a big loss but I am hearing that Houserights son can sling it. If that rumor is true they have pretty good skill out side to make you pay. I think their coaching is good enough to over come playing some younger players early. I would look out for this bunch

Ridgeview- The only reason I saw Ridgeview is because of O'Quinn who must have taken his COVID year

Third tier-Any team in this group could jump up and beat a tier 2 team but doesnt have to horses to run with a tier 1. They could also slip and and lose to the bottom tier if they have a bad day.

Marion- Graduation is going to hurt this bunch, this senior class was pretty good. I think Ginn has done a great job in the weight room with these boys you can tell the difference when they get off the bus. This isnt your doormat of the SWD any more. This years team will have a lot of new faces but not young these upcoming seniors will have 3 years in Ginns feed the cats program and I think it will play off. The Flexbone is finally started to look as frustrating to  opposing teams at Giles single wing. Ball control and a onside kick or too will win the Canes a few

VA High- Young QB showed a lot of promise late in the year. That kid can run with the best of them. I think he will only be better and be the next "How long has he been playing" QB in the area. Their numbers where low last season which is concerning for the future but Coach Patterson is a great coach and a great person he will work those hall ways and get the kids out that he needs to be competitive. 

Lee- Pendergraft and Early are back and with a Coach Carroll offense they should have plenty of fireworks on that side of the ball. They Pendergraft will be entering his 4th year starting on varsity and I think he is due for a break out season. Defense was an issue at times for the Generals this last season but I am confident that Coach Carroll and staff will refocus those boys in the offseason and right the ship.

Lebanon- If Reese can get any help from a supporting cast Lebanon could explode this season. Reese has the best arm talent in the region by far and if he stay at Lebanon I they have the chance to knock off anyone they play in the shoot out. The defense has got to get better for the Pioneers and they have to find a run game outside of Reese scrambling around. If they can find those two things then Lebanon is dangerous. If Reese finds himself on another roster you can bump Lebanon down a tier and move up who ever get him.  

Bottom tier- can catch a team above them slipping and get a win but against tiers 1 and 2 it should be a running clock in the second half

John battle - Battle upset Abingdon and Lee last season but lost to close games against VA high and Holston. If they pick up wins against those 2 then they are a playoff team for the first time since 2018. IMO Battle is the toughest coaching job in the region. No other coach has to deal with playing 3rd fiddle to basketball and baseball. Hats off to Coach Ricker for putting together their best season in 5 years maybe they are turning a corner but until I see other wise they are the best of the bottom group.

Central- If they got another super class it cant get here soon enough. This team was a shell of what it has been the past few years this season. At the start of the year I looked like they had new life with the transfer QB but once he got hurt it was a long year for the Warriors. In the past they had hung there hat on having a stingy D and a tough OL with a run the ball mentally until you broke. This season it looked like they had a hard time getting a first down on air and their defense was giving away TD like Opera gives away cars. Maybe they bounce back this year but it going to take some work

Richlands- coming off the worst season in program history things can only get better for the blues. I lot of this boils down to who they hire as head coach but even if they get a homerun hire I do not think there is enough there to see quick results. If they give the right guy time to reset the culture and install a system that works for what they got then I would move them up but it wont happen over night. Richlands will stay down here for atleast another year or two

13 hours ago, 1Wingit23 said:

Losing 13 seniors, the entire starting backfield, the secondary, both ends, the kicker, the punter, the center etc etc.....yeah, a rebuild might be an understatement. 

Ouch did not know this. Could be a very very long season then.  

On 12/6/2023 at 7:52 AM, Vol Hater said:

Union returns 9 on the offensive side, and 7 on the defensive side. Biggest? Who plays qb........if Turner find reys replacement via the portal or goes with Bostic or the soph Hall. Time will tell. According to Ridgeview folks next year is their year and we all know what Bluefield I mean Graham will have.

With the offense we are running, Hall probably will not start. Bostic is mobile.

Next year

1D, Got to go with Honaker.  1C, Got to go with Galax, then George Wythe

2D, Got to go with Graham and Union.  2C, I'll go Appomattox, then Glenvar, Radford, Gretna all close

Statewide

2A, Same two with King William and Poquson followed by Southampton

1A, Essex was supposed to be young according to their fans at the game, so got to go with Essex, 

2B, Riverheads followed by everyone else

1B, Altavista then Sussex. 

State Finals

Class 1.  I will go with the same two teams in Galax and Essex

Class 2.  I will go with Riverheads against another close call with Union, Graham, Appomattox.  

State Title Winner- No idea, but no suprise if Appo, Graham, Riverheads, Union win it.  

Lots can change.  Does King William have a super team like 2 years ago or does somebody step up like a Clarke County or Buckingham or William Campbell or Gretna, or does Radford just reload even though they lost the QB.  Hard to say, but I will go with one of the four teams mentioned above to win the state title.

29 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I know Galax doesnt graduate many key players.  What does Honaker and GW lose?  

Galax loses Ashworth #7 and Tucker #9, those guys are by far their Offensive and Defensive leaders. 

18 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

I know Galax doesnt graduate many key players.  What does Honaker and GW lose?  

Galax loses Tedruhn Tucker, AJ Ashworth, Bishop Whitaker and Ayden White. Everyone else returns. Colton Coomes and Ayden Stiltner will have an expanded role in the offense. Stiltner, in my opinion, will become the feature back. Current freshman Trey Markham and Braeden Whitaker show a lot of promise if they continue to develop. They are both already over 6-feet tall and weigh close to 200 pounds, fearless and a very good athletes. Another year of growth and weight training should help them even more. Markham's family moved here from the Charlotte area during Covid from what I was told. 

George Wythe loses Tandem Smith (QB),  Austin Repass (WR), Caleb Campbell (WR) and Laden Houston (RB). 

I have no clue about Honaker. Maybe they should lose the defensive coaches on purpose. They obviously spent way more time on that offense than anything on defense.

Pulled up a preseason preview from the BHC that shows Parker Bandy, Aidan Lowe, Malachi Lowe, Elijah Musick, Austin Clayburne, Peyton Whited and Tyler Cole listed as seniors. Not sure if other starters on either side of the ball graduate or not.  Peyton Musick will return of course and hes a stud at QB and Avery Musick looked like a capable skill guy before injury..

20 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Pulled up a preseason preview from the BHC that shows Parker Bandy, Aidan Lowe, Malachi Lowe, Elijah Musick, Austin Clayburne, Peyton Whited and Tyler Cole listed as seniors. Not sure if other starters on either side of the ball graduate or not.  Peyton Musick will return of course and hes a stud at QB and Avery Musick looked like a capable skill guy before injury..

Aidan Lowe will be the biggest loss that kid is a stud

On 12/7/2023 at 11:02 AM, SpillBoss said:

He still has some targets with McDonald being the top one. There is still Mullins, (the other) Patterson, McGuire, and Snap. Fill in a good RB they should fill out well.

Hinkle will be a big target too.  I think they should use him more next season, tall receiver, good hands.  Also, Chase Noel, if he plays.  RB will be the question mark.  Mullins may be able to take that role, he is a durable athlete.

1 Graham 

2 Union 

3 Tazewell 

4 Ridgeview  

5 Gate City

If Union can figure out the QB situation they could be #1 but after hearing Tazewell has so many starters back I could see them being the best and if Graham can replace Clements they could be the best so to sum it all up I don’t know but we should see some great football next season

7 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

1 Graham 

2 Union 

3 Tazewell 

4 Ridgeview  

5 Gate City

If Union can figure out the QB situation they could be #1 but after hearing Tazewell has so many starters back I could see them being the best and if Graham can replace Clements they could be the best so to sum it all up I don’t know but we should see some great football next season

Pretty good take.  RV is the sleeer in the M7….. they have a lot of returning talent but coaching and prep are the question marks.  If Tazewell keeps building up their defense they will be tough.

I really like #6 for Galax....not very big but tough and plays hard.  He will need 10-12 touches.  Also Galax will need to get more from QB...he will need to be able to pull the ball and run 4-5 times a game to open things up?  They will be very solid on defense and in the kicking game.

How good is Radford as a program? It seems they have been consistently good the last several years. They have some advantages with the local economy and the student body close to the school since it’s a city school. Has it been simply a good run of athletes or do they continue to produce talent. They have had exceptional talent at QB and skill positions.

57 minutes ago, Pickett said:

I really like #6 for Galax....not very big but tough and plays hard.  He will need 10-12 touches.  Also Galax will need to get more from QB...he will need to be able to pull the ball and run 4-5 times a game to open things up?  They will be very solid on defense and in the kicking game.

I believe #8 will be the feature back next season splitting time with #1. Also #5 needs more touches. He's an athlete that has played the past 3 or 4 weeks with a slipped disc in his lower back. For as small as #6 is, he's as tough as a pine knot. I think losing #9 might force Galax to spread the ball around much more than they have the past 2 seasons. Which would be a good thing overall.

50 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

How good is Radford as a program? It seems they have been consistently good the last several years. They have some advantages with the local economy and the student body close to the school since it’s a city school. Has it been simply a good run of athletes or do they continue to produce talent. They have had exceptional talent at QB and skill positions.

I saw the JV's play back in September. They have some serious talent coming up. I didn't see another Landon Clark but quite a few outstanding athletes.