Scrimmages

Hokiebird7

1 minute ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Still ridiculous to charge for a glorified practice

People still come. Until no one ever comes when you have to pay to watch a Jamboree, they will continue to charge. If I wasn't working, I'd be right there Friday. 

1 minute ago, Hokiebird7 said:

True but benefits are more game like...scrimmage or jamboree is a glorified practice

True on both counts.  I just won't go to another benefit game since the one we had against Chilhowie that we won and didn't win a regular season game! lol

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

People still come. Until no one ever comes when you have to pay to watch a Jamboree, they will continue to charge. If I wasn't working, I'd be right there Friday. 

I'd go if it is free.  Make it up on concessions and such.  More people would come that way and get a taste of the season to come

16 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

To each their own I guess but I think it's stupid and I would never pay unless it was game like things going on like a benefit

What's next? Charging to come watch a team practice?

I used to love going to VA High for the jamboree they would hold. I think it was $5 and teams started playing around 11 that morning and lasted until after dark. Several teams would show up and you would get to see two varsity quarters and one JV quarter per matchup. 

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

To each their own I guess but I think it's stupid and I would never pay unless it was game like things going on like a benefit

What's next? Charging to come watch a team practice?

I've never been charged to attend a scrimmage, but I've always had to pay for Jamborees. However, the Jamborees split the money among the participating schools, so, in essence, it's like a benefit game. You just play 2 teams for 1 half each instead of 1 team for 2 halves.

The entertainment I get is worth the $5 or $6.

17 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I've never been charged to attend a scrimmage, but I've always had to pay for Jamborees. However, the Jamborees split the money among the participating schools, so, in essence, it's like a benefit game. You just play 2 teams for 1 half each instead of 1 team for 2 halves.

Guess you're right...it's been many years since i've been to an actual jamboree...and I didn't know they split everything equally either

1 hour ago, Union_Fan said:

This ^^

The best jamboree (back then it was called the grid-o-rama) was at Mitchell Stadium.  It was an all day event, with multiple teams, local and out of area playing.   Not sure when last one was--maybe around 2006 or 2007.    If you had the chance to attend,  it was worth the price of admission and basking in the sun.

22 minutes ago, tbgfan said:

The best jamboree (back then it was called the grid-o-rama) was at Mitchell Stadium.  It was an all day event, with multiple teams, local and out of area playing.   Not sure when last one was--maybe around 2006 or 2007.    If you had the chance to attend,  it was worth the price of admission and basking in the sun.

Didn't Rockbridge County play in it the year they played Richlands for state? Mayo I think was the qb's name? 

I feel like I remember watching Gretna play there too when they were dominating 

14 hours ago, EH31 said:

Didn't Rockbridge County play in it the year they played Richlands for state? Mayo I think was the qb's name? 

I feel like I remember watching Gretna play there too when they were dominating 

2007 rockbridge co was there and Marcus mayo was the QB. I remember that guy well he had some speed. Haha 

6 hours ago, graham32 said:

2007 rockbridge co was there and Marcus mayo was the QB. I remember that guy well he had some speed. Haha 

Was that the same year Wayne and Martinsburg was there? 

Price don't bother me when you can see quality teams testing their metal.  Belfry is something to see.

25 minutes ago, bgibb said:

Can anyone confirm if Graham scrimmaged today and if so how they looked?

Graham played Glenvar this morning.  I think final score was 28-7.  Reed had a 60 yard TD on their first play.  Taymon also had a 50 yard TD along with a pick 6.  Allen had a 10 yard TD.  This coming from Facebook post I saw.

22 minutes ago, local_insight said:

Richlands and Belfrys first game. Richlands scores once and Belfry didn't score. Belfry only got 1 first down. Richlands forced 2 quick turnovers.

Did Heritage show for the scrimmage?

5 hours ago, thundercloud said:

Was that the same year Wayne and Martinsburg was there? 

Price don't bother me when you can see quality teams testing their metal.  Belfry is something to see.

Sorry 2006 season was when rockbridge co was there. 2007 was when Wayne and martinsburg were there.