should union get a new head coach

tarheel1217

3 hours ago, jarhead24219 said:

Can we just delete this post? Dabo is having a bad year too should we replace him too? This by far is the worst post ever delete delete delete. 
please tell us who you are , you need mental health help, we have you a long a jacket that ties in the rear and a room at the Marion Hilton 

Please let me know when you bring him to the Marion Hilton. I don't want him as a roommate.

I would like to add an observation about Coach Turner from yesterday’s game. In many games this season once Graham pulled starters, some teams left in their starters to score against our JV. I suppose to make the score look more respectable or to prove their varsity was superior to our JV. Coach Turner did not do that. I have great respect for him for that plus he runs a very good program, period (from an outsider’s perspective). 

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

I would like to add an observation about Coach Turner from yesterday’s game. In many games this season once Graham pulled starters, some teams left in their starters to score against our JV. I suppose to make the score look more respectable or to prove their varsity was superior to our JV. Coach Turner did not do that. I have great respect for him for that plus he runs a very good program, period (from an outsider’s perspective). 

So you expect another team to pull its starters after having their brains beat in as a matter of respect?  All that is doing for your "JV" team is making them better, and that will serve well down the line for Graham.  As far as Coach Turner, he is a great coach and very consistent.  Very well respected in the "ATHLETIC" community, and it is beyond crazy for some to be calling for his job!  Many programs would love to have his services, and his ability to push and grow young men!  Union's day is coming soon!!

3 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

So you expect another team to pull its starters after having their brains beat in as a matter of respect?  All that is doing for your "JV" team is making them better, and that will serve well down the line for Graham.  As far as Coach Turner, he is a great coach and very consistent.  Very well respected in the "ATHLETIC" community, and it is beyond crazy for some to be calling for his job!  Many programs would love to have his services, and his ability to push and grow young men!  Union's day is coming soon!!

You get no argument from me on Coach Turner. I agree he’s one of the best & well respected. I believe Union will have their day and go on to win a state championship. Union is a contender every year in the playoffs.  I just think a lot of PV/Appy got spoiled by winning so many 1A titles & expected Union to do the same right off the bat. That’s just my take on it. 

20 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

It is rare i have seen opposing teams sub out once we have pulled starters. Might be the coach does not want to admit defeat until 2 minutes are left on the clock. 

2 minutes ago, oldfool said:

It is rare i have seen opposing teams sub out once we have pulled starters. Might be the coach does not want to admit defeat until 2 minutes are left on the clock. 

Maybe they just want starters to get more reps & fine tune areas that need it…I’m no coach so maybe my take on leaving them in is all wrong. Maybe it’s common practice and Turner and Palmer are just different from other coaches. I’m not saying coaches that starters in even in a blowout are bad, it’s I just observe Turner not doing it after many others did. 

Possibly the most absurd post ever. Please delete this as my IQ just dropped 40 points from looking at this. Now to go talk to someone smart to get it back up-geez! We absolutely need some defensive changes,but leave Travis be. Over 100 wins in 11 years,and somebody calling for the ax. I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Maybe they just want starters to get more reps & fine tune areas that need it…I’m no coach so maybe my take on leaving them in is all wrong. Maybe it’s common practice and Turner and Palmer are just different from other coaches. I’m not saying coaches that starters in even in a blowout are bad, it’s I just observe Turner not doing it after many others did. 

Its kind of the old school approach that doesn't seem to be as common as it used to be.  Maybe its due to depth in general.  It use to be very common for coaches to even ask officials to relay to the other sidelines "Im pulling my starters as long as he will also" late in games that were mostly out of reach.

100 percent that you should pull your starters once the other team does. Even after a 2 or 3 quarter butt kicking. That is an unwritten rule that good coaches still abide by.   Nothing worse than a coach letting his starters pad  their stats , after they’ve laid down vs another teams starters. Most good players don’t want to score vs another teams subs anyway.  

16 hours ago, tarheel1217 said:

he took over 2 programs that had won 13 or 14 state titles between the two and cant get past the region

I dont have a horse in the race but he didn't take over championship programs, he took over programs that weren't very good.

In the 3 seasons before consolidation 

Appy went 6-5, 1-9, 5-5

PV went 5-6, 5-6, 5-6 

Turner has built Union into a perennial District and Regional contender 

Takes time,  just gonna guess someone is in their feels because their boy didn't get his name in the paper, or upset because (parents attitude) he's a senior and deserves it regardless of his inability to produce anything on the field.  Role players are important, but that doesn't mean you see them on Friday. Their work may be best Monday-wednesday.

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Takes time,  just gonna guess someone is in their feels because their boy didn't get his name in the paper, or upset because (parents attitude) he's a senior and deserves it regardless of his inability to produce anything on the field.  Role players are important, but that doesn't mean you see them on Friday. Their work may be best Monday-wednesday.

This gets me. I actually had a parent venting to me because James Mitchell, as a freshman, was starting and their kid, as a sophomore, wasn't. Don't get me wrong, their kid was good, but he was no James Mitchell. I also remember a kid starting on the line in 2013 that couldn't block a coma patient, and being a senior was the only reason I could come up with as to why he was. It's difficult to see things when we're so close to them.

18 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

This gets me. I actually had a parent venting to me because James Mitchell, as a freshman, was starting and their kid, as a sophomore, wasn't. Don't get me wrong, their kid was good, but he was no James Mitchell. I also remember a kid starting on the line in 2013 that couldn't block a coma patient, and being a senior was the only reason I could come up with as to why he was. It's difficult to see things when we're so close to them.

If the players are equal, by all means, the upperclassman should get the nod if he has paid his dues. If there is a clear difference in two players, the best of the two should be the starter regardless of class.

I heard Graham has former NFL player Yubrenal Isabelle's son and that Ahmad Bradshaw has another son in middle school who is also going to be special.  Sounds like Graham has a lot in the tank and will continue with it's string of future Div 1 players.

5 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

What do the Bears have coming up for next season?  Will they be better, the same, or worse?  How many seniors or starters gone?  How about the junior high, any talent there?  

The Bears aren’t hurting for upcoming talent. There are very few years you can’t look at the P-Nut teams up thru JV and find more than enough talent to compete at a high level in future years.

49 minutes ago, redtiger said:

I dont have a horse in the race but he didn't take over championship programs, he took over programs that weren't very good.

In the 3 seasons before consolidation 

Appy went 6-5, 1-9, 5-5

PV went 5-6, 5-6, 5-6 

Turner has built Union into a perennial District and Regional contender 

Yeah. People forget that PV and Appalachia were only shells of their former selves.