SWVASPORTS.COM

Union looses Huff

Well, there's a bit more to do in Maryland than ole SWVA and if that is where he spent his childhood.....can't blame him.  He will more than likely get more focused training/coaching up there and will play a higher level of competition.  

I watched Union's JV last season and I think they'll be fine.  It is a loss but they have young talent.  This might drop them behind Graham in my personal rankings.  

To the Union guys out there......is this just a coincidence or should Union be worried that they have lost two good talents in the last two seasons?  I'll say it once again....other than Tiller at Honaker and Edwards when he was at Castlewood....this region doesn't value a dominate QB/WR combo near as much as football outside the region.

2 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Well, there's a bit more to do in Maryland than ole SWVA and if that is where he spent his childhood.....can't blame him.  He will more than likely get more focused training/coaching up there and will play a higher level of competition.  

I watched Union's JV last season and I think they'll be fine.  It is a loss but they have young talent.  This might drop them behind Graham in my personal rankings.  

To the Union guys out there......is this just a coincidence or should Union be worried that they have lost two good talents in the last two seasons?  I'll say it once again....other than Tiller at Honaker and Edwards when he was at Castlewood....this region doesn't value a dominate QB/WR combo near as much as football outside the region.

I don’t think it’s necessarily a coincidence.. nor do I feel like it’s a worry for the Union football program. I think the best word honestly is just disappointment. In a world of what if’s, Sykes is throwing to Huff this year. That’s a pretty lethal group when you pair them with the talent coming back on the offensive line aswell as all of the young guys coming this year. And that’s not to mention who is IMO the best player on the team, Keith Chandler. 

On 7/5/2024 at 3:13 PM, jarhead24219 said:

I just heard that Paul Huff has moved to Maryland with his mother, big loss for Union, but he should get more looks that way, best of luck to you

I know he is a very good high school athlete, but is he a D1 prospect?

11 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I’ve said in the past that I don’t believe he has the size nor straight line speed to be FBS D1. FCS possibly just do to his quickness and footwork, but I think D2 is more reasonable. 

On 7/6/2024 at 9:22 PM, Weatherman said:

Can he be?  Yes, at FCS level.  He appears to be an X for Union but doesn’t translate to that at the D-1 or D-2 level.  He doesn’t have the quicks to be a next level slot (think Turner-Bradshaw) which means his skill set maps best to Z.  Judging by game film and track results….he’s probably a 4.7-4.8 40 guy.  Has good ball skills and body control but doesn’t have D-1 level quickness.  I think he’s a D-2 level WR unless he totally goes 100% all in on film study, route running and speed training.  

I know Union has other kids ready to step up but this a loss of two All-Region caliber starting positions (S, WR) plus KR and PR.  I'm always surprised when people say "its just one kid".   I don't look at it that way....that is four starting positions that now have to be replaced.  

How about other sports....will his loss impact other sports?  I didn't know if he was  basketball or baseball kid.

7 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I know Union has other kids ready to step up but this a loss of two All-Region caliber starting positions (S, WR) plus KR and PR.  I'm always surprised when people say "its just one kid".   I don't look at it that way....that is four starting positions that now have to be replaced.  

How about other sports....will his loss impact other sports?  I didn't know if he was  basketball or baseball kid.

I feel like it changes a lot for Union they have to now decide if they can afford to put Bostic at QB and take him off of defense an not have him at WR.  

26 minutes ago, redtiger said:

They're effectively losing their top 2 WRs and QB from last season. It changes their outlook quite a bit 

Isn't Union's line mostly back? "All starts up front,' is Never and overstated verbage. If your OL and DL is better than 90 percent of other teams OL/DLs, you will be a problem for opponents. 

27 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Isn't Union's line mostly back? "All starts up front,' is Never and overstated verbage. If your OL and DL is better than 90 percent of other teams OL/DLs, you will be a problem for opponents. 

Graduated all the d line except 1 graduated both middle linebackers, so that O line that was just going one way will now most likely have to go both ways.  

I know this is a change of subject ( or hijacking the thread) but I was told that Bullitt Park was having lighting issues and that all the home games would be played on Saturday afternoons. Is it a rumor or is it true! 

4 hours ago, redtiger said:

They're effectively losing their top 2 WRs and QB from last season. It changes their outlook quite a bit 

That is just one side of the ball.  If they keep Bostic at QB and pull him from defense, they lose two all-Region caliber DBs.  That defense goes from being really good at pass defense to very average.

3 hours ago, SXSW said:

I know this is a change of subject ( or hijacking the thread) but I was told that Bullitt Park was having lighting issues and that all the home games would be played on Saturday afternoons. Is it a rumor or is it true! 

I was there for the 4th of July celebration and things seemed fine. Maybe I didn’t notice something. 

11 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Reports of Unions demise will once again be greatly exaggerated. 

In all fairness UnionGuy2017, I haven't read anyone predicting a fall off or demise (at least not that I've read, but I could have missed it) but losing a player like Huff likely not makes you quite as strong compared to having Huff on the field. Same for Graham with the loss of Jennings. The GMen reload in talent and like Union, there's always going to be a baller to step in that is talented, but the likelihood of Jennings replacement being as good, (a 3 or 4 star recruit) is unlikely and it hurts. Doesn't mean the team will be "bad," but it likely does mean the team is better with a Huff or Jennings.

1 minute ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

In all fairness UnionGuy2017, I haven't read anyone predicting a fall off or demise (at least not that I've read, but I could have missed it) but losing a player like Huff likely not makes you quite as strong compared to having Huff on the field. Same for Graham with the loss of Jennings. The GMen reload in talent and like Union, there's always going to be a baller to step in that is talented, but the likelihood of Jennings replacement being as good, (a 3 or 4 star recruit) is unlikely and it hurts. Doesn't mean the team will be "bad," but it likely does mean the team is better with a Huff or Jennings.

No sense for you to come in here with any voice of reason. It ruins the dramatic effect! 

Union High School football season 2024 will be very similar to season 2023; the Bears will challenge for the district title and challenge for the regional title.

They return 8 who started on offense last year to build around and have a terrific group of young new-comers. Last year's JV team lost only one game - to Elizabethton, @ Elizabethton, by 1 point. Depth will not be a problem; but some of the experienced big guys may have to play both ways early in the season. Last year only one lineman pulled regular double duty. They will have a new quarterback and a younger defense but I believe a safe prediction is an 8-2 regular season record and a trip back to make another playoff run. (With the loss of Huff, only 6 defensive players are returning, but they did not lose all defensive linemen, as outstanding starting defensive end Carlos Anderson does return!)

• 2 weeks later...