Abingdon @ Richlands; SWD Title Game

V-Cats

Abingdon received 7 black roses and a note from Richlands this morning. The note explained how the roses represent Abingdons dieing record. Good job, that note only made the players more exited to play tonight.

9 times out of 10 someone on the coaching staff of the team that received the "note" is responsible, not the actual opposing team.

9 times out of 10 someone on the coaching staff of the team that received the "note" is responsible, not the actual opposing team.

This. It happens ALL THE TIME. In all sorts of things. We even used to do it in band when I was at Richlands. The week of the state competition, the seniors would go spray paint the cliff the RHS band practiced in front of with G stars and all sorts of stuff about how great they were. It was meant to pump up the freshmen and sophomores were weren't privileged to the knowledge that we were doing it.

I would put $1,000,000 that the roses were sent from the Abingdon coaching staff. 

Yep.........I don't see coach Mance letting anything like that happen and especially come from our coaching staff and players.......no need to do anything like that,  I think they're smart enough to know there is nothing to gain in doing something of that nature!  

What radio station will game be on, I don't think I can pick up the 105.5 station or whatever it is in big stone but I thought Abingdon may cover the game also.

If you have the TuneIn app, WGTH streams on there. Not sure of the Abingdon station.

Abingdon received 7 black roses and a note from Richlands this morning. The note explained how the roses represent Abingdons dieing record. Good job, that note only made the players more exited to play tonight.

Hope they are fired up. I want to see Abingdons best.

I believe I know that some schools are more academically superior than others. The past two years I have been at Tech I have realized that BIG time. The schools in SWVA academically do not hold a candle to the schools in NOVA. That is just a fact. I was sitting with a girl in class one day that said their high school course were tougher than some classes she was in now, to which I was shocked to hear. I have yet to hear any of my fellow colleagues from SWVA make the same argument. 

Yes, some schools offer more courses than other, I have known this as well. I have met people from Abingdon who took classes in high school that they did not offer at Richlands, while I have met people from Tazewell who were shocked at something I was able to take at Richlands. My point in that discussion, is there is not a high school that parents are dying to get their kid to go to on our end of the state. It isn't like college where you have to go to UVA because this program is the best, or you have to go to VT because this program is the best. 

You raise a great point.  Academically, SWVA schools are behind most NOVA schools; but so are the other regions of the state.  Part of that is sheer enrollment: a larger enrollment induces greater local and state contribution, which creates positions for more teachers, some of whom can teach more AP/advanced courses and alternative courses such as philosophy, religion, etc. that make students more well-rounded.  Part of that is cultural: a white-collar culture has the money and resources available to invest in tutoring, both in academics and arts.  That allows teachers to teach greater amounts of material at an accelerated pace.  That's not the case here, by and large: SWVA is smaller and more impoverished, and despite doing remarkably well for the resources it has (as a region, SWVA is 2nd behind NOVA in reading), cannot consistently match NOVA.  I think that's a fair criticism.

However, fair the criticism be, I don't know if it's germane to this topic.  That's talking about preferring one region over another as opposed to preferring places within the same region.  If someone offered me tons of cash to do the same thing in NOVA that I'm doing here in SWVA for considerably less, I'd saddle the wife and kids on up and go.   It wouldn't even be a judgment call: that's just being smart and being opportunistic.  

Choosing a college based upon academic criteria is a bit different than doing the same as for high schools.  You may have poorer colleges who have a widely renowned department or two, or you may have stronger colleges who are just not well equipped for certain fields (UVA for most undergraduate scientific disciplines, for example).  Rare will be a high school that is extremely weak yet have some Jaime Escalante clone who is a beacon of light in a certain field.  As public high schools take all comers, it is a bit different than most colleges.

This is a fun little tool to use if you have a couple hours to kill: https://p1pe.doe.virginia.gov/reportcard/

Looking at the high school levels, when parents are most likely to shuffle kids based upon athletics (and it still makes me shudder), some schools stand out in very positive ways.  The Washington County/Virginia High schools are all strong, Abingdon exceptionally so.  Graham meets all performance benchmarks, as do Grundy, Rural Retreat, Galax, and I'm positive I've missed others.  On the flip side, some of the scores in mathematics are plumb embarrassing.  Though not embarrassingly so, Richlands (slight) and Tazewell (moderate) have math deficiencies.  Point being, there ARE better academic schools than others throughout SWVA.  Were I moving my family, I would not move my child to a school that risks losing accreditation by substandard performance, sports be darned.  And I don't believe that I'm too discerning in doing so.

And I want to apologize to you as well, if I came off too strong.  I need to quit buying pee-flavored Cheerios.

See my original Post below...meanwhile Unions game was over in the 1st quarter.

As a Union fan and having watched Richlands, I think the Blues wins this one easily. Good coaching, disciplined players and big game experience, will be the deciding factor in this game. I don't know much about Abingdon, but Richlands just doesn't get rattled when faced with adversity. To me this is more of whether or not the Falcons have arrived. Wish they would change the date because I'd liked to see this game. It's at Ernie, the Blues are hitting on all cylinders so I don't see Abingdon leaving with a victory. Jmo

Props to Abingdon for a great season, but unfortunately I don't think they win this one at Ernie Hicks...

Richlands 42

Abingdon 21

Didn't give Richlands enough points... But I was close! 56-21 Richlands with the JV boys finishing the 4th quarter. Props to Abingdon, the Sturgill kid is really good, just hasn't seen that kind of pressure this year...