Week 10 updates.

Real Sasquatch

Blacksburg hired a coach with a 5-35 career record to replace Thad Wells. He went 13-1 in his first season at Blacksburg with Wells players and assistants. He has won a grand total of 6 games in the 3 seasons since. Blacksburg is currently riding a 16 game losing streak and have scored 14 points in the last 6 games. Blacksburg was outscored 275-7 in the spring season of 2020.

11 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Blacksburg hired a coach with a 5-35 career record to replace Thad Wells. He went 13-1 in his first season at Blacksburg with Wells players and assistants. He has won a grand total of 6 games in the 3 seasons since. Blacksburg is currently riding a 16 game losing streak and have scored 14 points in the last 6 games. Blacksburg was outscored 275-7 in the spring season of 2020.

Yikes

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Wow.  Aside from everything going on with Blacksburg, how I know he is in over his head is Blacksburg continuing to punt to Bradshaw all night.  They got away with it several times simply due to a bad punt or Bradshaw not fielding it, but they were not trying one bit to place the ball away from Bradshaw.  That right there is simply called 1 hour of film work on Graham at some point during the week, and you immediately pick that up.  That didn't happen, so this tells me a lot about their staff's preparation, or lack there of.  It's one thing to miss this early in the year or even half way through the year, as you maybe study Graham film in two games where he didn't return one, but late in the year like this, where you have more than enough data (film), it's more than clear about the danger of punting to this kid.  

2 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Wow.  Aside from everything going on with Blacksburg, how I know he is in over his head is Blacksburg continuing to punt to Bradshaw all night.  They got away with it several times simply due to a bad punt or Bradshaw not fielding it, but they were not trying one bit to place the ball away from Bradshaw.  That right there is simply called 1 hour of film work on Graham at some point during the week, and you immediately pick that up.  That didn't happen, so this tells me a lot about their staff's preparation, or lack there of.  It's one thing to miss this early in the year or even half way through the year, as you maybe study Graham film in two games where he didn't return one, but late in the year like this, where you have more than enough data (film), it's more than clear about the danger of punting to this kid.  

By all accounts, he's a hell of a nice guy. Just WAY out over his skis coaching high school football at any level. 

I was at Virginia High for my daughters swim meet last night. Football practice had ended but four kids wanted to put in some extra work. The new head coach stayed and worked with those boys for well over an hour after practice had ended. Encouraging, upbeat, positive and praising in his teaching.

From what I saw last night, VHS is in a hell of a good place with its football program!

2 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Just watch the Union game. Punting to Bradshaw ended up being the deciding factor.  Can not punt to that kid, ever.

24 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I was at Virginia High for my daughters swim meet last night. Football practice had ended but four kids wanted to put in some extra work. The new head coach stayed and worked with those boys for well over an hour after practice had ended. Encouraging, upbeat, positive and praising in his teaching.

From what I saw last night, VHS is in a hell of a good place with its football program!

For years, Va High has had athletes. Very obvious to anyone. Some years, they had size to go with that too. Regardless of their situation or potential, there was always something missing. I think they finally found that something. Could be a dangerous team in the next few years, and for as long as Patterson is there.

13 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

For years, Va High has had athletes. Very obvious to anyone. Some years, they had size to go with that too. Regardless of their situation or potential, there was always something missing. I think they finally found that something. Could be a dangerous team in the next few years, and for as long as Patterson is there.

Agree.  Going to be very good as long as he's there.  Va High is very good this year, but I think one year away.  Next year, I think Va High has a very, very good chance to be playing in the state semifinals, but....they have a ways to go on the defensive line.  That's where the improvement must come.  The difference right now with them and a team like Union, Central, Ridgeview, and Graham on the defensive line is way, way big.  Their favorable matchup in game one of the playoffs is with Ridgeview in my opinion.  Central and Union will pulverize them on the ground, but with Ridgeview, Va High could possibly get just enough stops to where they could possibly win that game.