Scrimmages/Benefit games

redtiger

Glenvar did major damage last night to Abingdon and Blacksburg. Each team played one half against the other and starters played the entire scrimmage (scrimmages).

1st Game: Scrimmage 1 for 1 half. Blacksburg beat Abingdon 2TDs to 1TD. Abingdon actually outplayed Blacksburg (slightly) , and had a couple inside the 5 yd line appearances only to be stopped, but Blacksburg is light-years better than last year.

2nd Game: Abingdon stayed on field and scrimmaged Glenvar. Glenvar took Abingdon apart 28-7 in the one half of play.

3rd Game: Same result with Glenvar and Blacksburg. Something like 4 or 5 TDs for Glenvae to 1 for Blacksburg in one half of play.

Glenvar is really good. They looked better than Radford and Appo to me so far.  Got to favor Appo in C until somebody beats em, but Glenvar is capable of doing it this year. 

18 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Galax hosts Glenvar next week. I still have some friends in the Roanoke area. They have all told me this might be the best Glenvar team Kevin Clifford has had since taking over as head coach.

If they are that good, they will be a Class 2 threat. 

Imo Sixcat, in watching Glenvar in preseason or early season over the years, the best I have seen has been this year. I didn't want to write it because it may sound like hyperbole, but that's the best in preseason or early season I've ever seen Glenvar in my memory. QBs, RB, OL, WRs, DL, etc. 

Galax also looks to be very very good. I watched Hedgesville get taken behind the wood "hedges."  Great game with Glenvar and Galax. Galax is playing what might be 2 of the top 4 Class 2 teams in VA in Graham and Glenvar. I don't even know if Radford is playing Galax this year? Radford is also very good. Could be 3 of the top 6 and well prepared for Galax come playiff time.

13 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Imo Sixcat, in watching Glenvar in preseason or early season over the years, the best I have seen has been this year. I didn't want to write it because it may sound like hyperbole, but that's the best in preseason or early season I've ever seen Glenvar in my memory. QBs, RB, OL, WRs, DL, etc. 

Galax also looks to be very very good. I watched Hedgesville get taken behind the wood "hedges."  Great game with Glenvar and Galax. Galax is playing what might be 2 of the top 4 Class 2 teams in VA in Graham and Glenvar. I don't even know if Radford is playing Galax this year? Radford is also very good. Could be 3 of the top 6 and well prepared for Galax come playiff time.

Galax plays Glenvar, Radford and Graham in the first five weeks of the season. Galax could easily be the second best Class 1 team in the state and be 2-3. 

4 hours ago, sixcat said:

Galax plays Glenvar, Radford and Graham in the first five weeks of the season. Galax could easily be the second best Class 1 team in the state and be 2-3. 

Galax fans are about as bad as graham and Tazewell fans. you guys beat a terrible hedgville team and then wanna talk about how great you are!!! that team won 4 games in the last three years so keep patting yourself on the back.

2 minutes ago, Hard Hitter said:

Galax fans are about as bad as graham and Tazewell fans. you guys beat a terrible hedgville team and then wanna talk about how great you are!!! 

He is right though....that's 3 tough games against teams in bigger classifications.

And I don't think he said 'how great they are'

Your team is who?

13 minutes ago, Hard Hitter said:

Galax fans are about as bad as graham and Tazewell fans. you guys beat a terrible hedgville team and then wanna talk about how great you are!!! that team won 4 games in the last three years so keep patting yourself on the back.

Galax has a hell of a schedule and will lucky to be 2-3 after the first five. We can pat ourselves on the back for playing for state championships several years in a row  and I'm not saying we will be back there this year but we've had one hell of a run and I'm damn proud of what Galax has accomplished. Who is your team and what have they done lately?

54 minutes ago, Hard Hitter said:

I know nothing about that team they played yesterday but watch how much of a fight Galax puts up against a bigger, stronger, faster Radford, Glenvar, and Graham team this season. Galax is without a doubt an underdog in all of those games but watch how competitive they play against them schools. Galax has every right to be confident in their team. 

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Galax hosts Glenvar next week. I still have some friends in the Roanoke area. They have all told me this might be the best Glenvar team Kevin Clifford has had since taking over as head coach.

If they are that good, they will be a Class 2 threat. 

Raddy has a great team this year but we ain't touchin Glenvar this season.  They can beat Appomattox in the playoffs with the team they got over there this year

1 hour ago, Hard Hitter said:

I would say you would have to go back a long ways to find someone from Galax on here beating their chest.  His comment was more on the fact of how tuff a schedule they have in front of them.  They are going to be playing Three  2A power houses that all went deep in playoffs last year and one to state and from what everyone is stating all three teams are better this year. As well as a Giles team that had a hell of a year last year and will be better this year- plus it’s Giles. 

I will say that last night was the sharpest they have looked in a preseason game that I can remember. Especially the line against a monster O and D line in the other side. But these games mean zero 

On 8/12/2022 at 11:23 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

It's all good man.  No offense to Liberty, but huge difference in them and LCA, and big difference in LCA and 95% plus percent of every other Class 2 and 3 teams, so me calling them LCA needed a correction.  I had no idea until you pointed it out.

Appomattox is fast, but one concern on them.  They are not terribly big.  Average size to very slightly undersized on the LOS, but great technique.  The QB for Appo is going to be a High School Superstar.  Smooth and cool as the other side of the pillow.

Regardless of outcome of first 5 games Galax will make a deep run.   Their defense led by the Vaught kid will be tremendous.  They are well coached and the school and community have bought into the process established for a decade now.

44 minutes ago, Pickett said:

Regardless of outcome of first 5 games Galax will make a deep run.   Their defense led by the Vaught kid will be tremendous.  They are well coached and the school and community have bought into the process established for a decade now.

Are you the good QB they had a few years ago?

5 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

He is right though....that's 3 tough games against teams in bigger classifications.

And I don't think he said 'how great they are'

Your team is who?

Has anybody west of Roanoke played for a title the last 4 years except Graham? Not sure who is roots for, don’t really care. GMen fans are far from delusional. Appomattox and EC Glass are nobody’s? He must live in Highland Springs. Lol

1 minute ago, Gmen2021 said:

Has anybody west of Roanoke played for a title the last 4 years except Graham? Not sure who is roots for, don’t really care. GMen fans are far from delusional. Appomattox and EC Glass are nobody’s? He must live in Highland Springs. Lol

Yeah..Galax. The last 3 years actually.