Biggest surprise of week 1

Optimal62

35 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

What’s your biggest surprise of week 1? For me it was the thorough dismantling of Chilhowie by Marion. 

Yes this was definitely not expected. A total beat down of the Warriors for the Canes

J.I. Burton seems to be on the decline after much success

Happy for the kids at Rye Cove to taste victory

Graham and Galax are still at the top

1 hour ago, Optimal62 said:

What’s your biggest surprise of week 1? For me it was the thorough dismantling of Chilhowie by Marion. 

Having seen it in person, the scoreboard did not reflect how lopsided that game was. Marion dominated all three phases of the game, and penalties were the only thing that kept that score respectable. With Richlands doing what they did to Gate City, I think it's safe to say that the SWD is VERY deep this year.

Also, for most people this goes without saying, but never take the scores of benefit games as an actual barometer of a team's abilities. 8 days ago Chilhowie topped Tazewell and Marion was routed by Fort in benefit games, and now we know that probably wasn't the best reflection of any of those teams. 

The way Marion beat Chilhowie in a way that has not happened in the last decade. Chilhowie got tired. That was not because Marion was in that much better of shape but they only had to play half the snaps Chilhowie did. Chilhowie usually pulls away when Marion starts cramping but that did not happen Friday and it was fun to watch to say the least. 

I thought GC was would have handled Richlands going off of what had been said on here about Richlands but it seems like Richlands finally got some healthy players back? I was surprised by that score.

Tazewell putting a beat down on VA High surprised the hell out of me. I thought that game would have been much closer. It looks like the lost of Stevie hurts a lot more than expected and Tazewell is a pretty good ball team this year. I knew that but didn’t expect that out come Friday 

Very very impressed with Galax…..as for Glenvar they are massive…. a little too much emphasis on pass game in my opinion.  I still think of Glenvar as a Pistol power run team.   I know they throw ball very well but not sure that is  their identity.   Also feel Glenvar staff a little out coached on this particular night. Surprised at how young Galax is.  Obviously several outstanding Seniors but a nice mix of younger kids too.   Both teams will of course do well.

40 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Did VA High have Jones? I know Tazewell ended up taking Creasy out from what I read on here. 

They did.  He was not particularly effective and took some shots that rattled him.  15/26, 152 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT passing.  3 carries, -9 yards rushing (2 of which were sacks).

I think one surprise was Lebanon's comeback win against Honaker. Lebanon may end up being a surprise team in the hogoheege and Region.  I think both Chilhowie and Holston will both prove to be down this season. I expect the hogoheege to come down between, PH, Rural Retreat,  and Lebanon. 

13 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Did VA High have Jones? I know Tazewell ended up taking Creasy out from what I read on here. 

Yes…he played entire game.  As was said earlier on this board, it was untrue that he had a sprained hip flexor. Jones is totally fine. If it wasn’t for Davidson and Jones on defense, the score would have been even worse. VA High has a lot to figure out for the rest of the season. You can easily take away their strength of going deep.  Their screen game worked really well, but they barely used it. 

Defensively, any team can be at linebacker depth running the ball very easily. 

54 minutes ago, FoxTrot said:

Yes…he played entire game.  As was said earlier on this board, it was untrue that he had a sprained hip flexor. Jones is totally fine. If it wasn’t for Davidson and Jones on defense, the score would have been even worse. VA High has a lot to figure out for the rest of the season. You can easily take away their strength of going deep.  Their screen game worked really well, but they barely used it. 

Defensively, any team can be at linebacker depth running the ball very easily. 

That’s a weird hill to die upon, but you do you.