Week 8 Scores/Updates

Graham32

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

I don’t know. Virginia’s Oline and defense are weak. I think they score 21-28 but I don’t see them keeping RV under 30.  We haven’t seen RV’s pass defense get tested too much but I do think there are some weaknesses there.

Ridgeview would beat Va High by 3 scores I agree 

Grahams line is the engine that makes them go!! Best south of Roanoke and probably top 5 in state in all classes. plug in any running back and they will be successful with the holes those guys blast open.  

6 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

425 rushing yds? That's just stupid ground and pound. Just plain stupid. Good Lord.  If Graham has its OL and DL intact in the playoffs, I'm telling ya, they will be tough to handle. Teams that win 28 to 7 and 38 to 13 by a heavy dose of run first and an efficient "when it's needed" passing game has higher chances to go the distance compared to a team that wins 52-7 and passes it first, then gets into a playoff situation that requires them to run "when needed" and all of a sudden, it's not so easy. I have no clue if Graham gets past the first game of the region, but in looking at the big picture, and I said this in week 2, I see absolutely no LESS chance of Graham playing for a state title and possibly winning it compared to last year. 

The scoring margins aren't as wide, but the rushing numbers are wider, and in cold weather come late playoff time, that's an invaluable tool and longtime (not always, but often) difference maker. 

5 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Ridgeview would beat Va High by 3 scores I agree 

Virginia High won’t get far enough to face Ridgeview this season.  VHS will be seeded anywhere from 3rd to 6th, which means VHS will be playing GC, Union, or Tazewell in Round #1.  I’d take Union and Tazewell straight up against them.  If “bad GC” shows up, VHS would win.  If “good GC” shows up, I’d take GC without thinking twice.

24 minutes ago, SamJackson said:

Graham has to many weapons and the best oline and dline around. 

We’re so used to feeding it to Clements, it was refreshing to see others step up and make it happen. We’ve got some good depth and the O Line & D Line are probably strongest in SWVA. I’m so pleased with the tenacity of those boys to step it up last night & get it done when a lot of people thought we’d struggle & maybe win in a close one. Play was on point, coaching on both sides of the ball, on point. I think our players just wore VH down. I’ve said it more than once since last night, Jones is an athlete. He can sling it and he can run it. I think not playing a tougher schedule really hurts against teams like Graham. 

2 hours ago, Hard Hitter said:

Grahams line is the engine that makes them go!! Best south of Roanoke and probably top 5 in state in all classes. plug in any running back and they will be successful with the holes those guys blast open.  

Top 5 in any class? Geez

They are good but that's a huge stretch

4 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Top 5 in any class? Geez

For once, I think we agree on something.

Graham’s a solid football team, per the usual.  The G-Men will almost certainly win Region 2D for the 4th time in 5 seasons.  But “top 5 in state in all classes” is delusional.  There are easily 30+ teams throughout the Commonwealth from 3A to 6A that would thump Graham and thump them pretty handily.  It’s simply numbers and the pool of eligible players.  Highland Springs has 1845 students.  Graham has 510.  

2 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Not the Ridgeview team I saw last week. 

Well I’m comparing how Union played graham vs what Va high did against them short handed and Va high didn’t look very impressive at all 

59 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham’s a solid football team, per the usual.  The G-Men will almost certainly win Region 2D for the 4th time in 5 seasons.  But “top 5 in state in all classes” is delusional.  There are easily 30+ teams throughout the Commonwealth from 3A to 6A that would thump Graham and thump them pretty handily.  It’s simply numbers and the pool of eligible players.  Highland Springs has 1845 students.  Graham has 510.  

Agree the teams in northern Va would destroy any 2a teams some of those schools send 5-7 players to D1 just too many athletes 

3 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Well I guess my day is made now thar the big dog agreed with me lol

4 hours ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Top 5 in any class? Geez

if they played for tazewell all we would here is how great they are and how all are D1 and best line in past 50 yrs in the state 

7 hours ago, Hard Hitter said:

I don't know I'd say they're top 5 in the state across all classes but I would certainly say they are the cream of the crop in 2A and possibly against a lot of teams in higher classes.  They definitely had a ground and pound running game last night and making holes for their guys to run through all evening.  There was zero need for a passing game last night and I think the GMEN just completely wore the Bearcats down. It will be interesting to see how the GMEN fair against a better Pulaski team than they faced last year with still a couple of key players out. If last night is any indication, GMEN have great adaptability some of which surprised many last night. 

Anybody that knows me know that I'm a diehard G-Man but am I wrong is my observation that Va High NEVER shifted their line or linebackers to the strong side when our lead blockers shifted to the side that we were DEFINETYLY running the football. I'm glad they didn't shift and I'm not sure that if would have mattered with the way our guys were blocking but not making an adjustment is just crazy.

22 minutes ago, JGray said:

Anybody that knows me know that I'm a diehard G-Man but am I wrong is my observation that Va High NEVER shifted their line or linebackers to the strong side when our lead blockers shifted to the side that we were DEFINETYLY running the football. I'm glad they didn't shift and I'm not sure that if would have mattered with the way our guys were blocking but not making an adjustment is just crazy.

Bingo. A grand total of zero shifts. After the 5th time, it was obvious VH wasn't going to adjust. I thought, maybe after halftime, but.....nope.

6 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I didn't think so.

Graham beat Union by 10 with a full roster IIRC. Graham just ran all over VHS with several players out. I'm not sure how that equates to VHS looked better than Union. 

6 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Graham is in a good spot given their size. I can’t imagine the titles if they were to ever drop to Class 1 or 1A. They have that luxury of the talent pool located close to the school. Based upon reading the message board, or maybe even the news article, the addition of a handful of good athletes from the surrounding areas only increases the talent pool without inflating the overall numbers.

9 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Virginia High won’t get far enough to face Ridgeview this season.  VHS will be seeded anywhere from 3rd to 6th, which means VHS will be playing GC, Union, or Tazewell in Round #1.  I’d take Union and Tazewell straight up against them.  If “bad GC” shows up, VHS would win.  If “good GC” shows up, I’d take GC without thinking twice.

Yeah I believe all 3 could beat Va. High but Union has always struggled with a running QB but I think Union would just line up and run it down there throat and Tazewell has already beaten them easily right?

• GMan locked this topic