Region Finals Scores and Updates.

Real Sasquatch

2 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

As an outside observer that was an interesting game. Both teams played their tails off and it sucked someone had to lose. Only critique I would have was of the clock management by Union in the second half. Gotta have those timeouts late when you in a dogfight. 

We burn our timeouts like that every week.  They’ll bring the play in from the sideline with 12 seconds on the play clock and still have to go to the huddle line up and snap the ball it’s been like that for years 

13 minutes ago, RedPrideNation said:

As an outside observer that was an interesting game. Both teams played their tails off and it sucked someone had to lose. Only critique I would have was of the clock management by Union in the second half. Gotta have those timeouts late when you in a dogfight. 

Been that way since 2011 when the school formed.

We've called TO's after just calling a TO, or after the other team just called a timeout, after change of possession, KOs, punts and end of quarters.

We need a time management seminar.

Officiating in this game since talked about.

1. It's NEVER "the entire crew." Its usually only 1, maybe, maybe 2.

2. Graham can't cheat Union, and Union can't cheat Graham. The people of Big Stone Gap didn't gather as a town with the student body and players and coaches and set down with the officials and decide, "we will cheat Graham.' The Union coaches, players, fans have nothing to do with a call on the field regarding "planning."

What can happen? You can have one bad apple with bad intent. I stick to that opinion tonight. The back judge, one guy, not "the crew," not "Union," not " Turner," but 1 guy with bad intent. I stand by the post. He tried to influence the games outcome, period. I have my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I didn't write any plural...no officials, not Union, but singular.....the back judge.

I rewinded NFHS. Huff got there early in the endzone on the no call pass interference. The Union announcers felt that was the case. At the opposite end, the pass interference call by the same official on Graham that gave Union the extra chance. It was nothing close to pass interference and the Union announcers kind of felt the same. These 2 calls are game changing. Sure, we can pick out the hold or facemask or this or that, but it's about the timing of a flag and where it's thrown and by whom and does it effect or can it greatly effect the outcome?  Those 2 calls were huge and they were blatent in my opinion. Overall, the rest of the officials did a good job. It wasn't a horse collar on Clements. The call was correct. The holding call on Graham at the one late in the first half was 50-50, but kind of legit. It happened on the opposite side of the play, didn't effect the play, but the Graham player literally tackled the kid. That's a hold.

Just my opinions, and the back judge in this game gets an F. The rest of the crew gets a B. There is no such thing as Team A cheating team B. There is also no such thing as the "Officials cheating," as in....the entire crew. That's rare. But, if you think bad apples don't exist, then better check again. As human beings, we have people in every field or profession that largely have good intentions, but we have a few (very few) bad apples in every profession, field, or past time from Doctors to Lawyers to Judges to Plumbers to Nurses to electricians to preachers to husbands and wives that cheat on one another, and all of a sudden, we think that somehow every official in the world undergoes complete moral clarity and 100% morality for the 48 minutes he takes the field to call a game? Naive....brothers....naive.

30 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

Who is the better team of the two in your opinion?

I think Honaker has been consistently better — but it’s hard to ignore what Galax has done the last half of the season and into the playoffs. They’re hot at the perfect time. Gonna be one helluva football game. 

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Officiating in this game since talked about.

1. It's NEVER "the entire crew." Its usually only 1, maybe, maybe 2.

2. Graham can't cheat Union, and Union can't cheat Graham. The people of Big Stone Gap didn't gather as a town with the student body and players and coaches and set down with the officials and decide, "we will cheat Graham.' The Union coaches, players, fans have nothing to do with a call on the field regarding "planning."

What can happen? You can have one bad apple with bad intent. I stick to that opinion tonight. The back judge, one guy, not "the crew," not "Union," not " Turner," but 1 guy with bad intent. I stand by the post. He tried to influence the games outcome, period. I have my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I didn't write any plural...no officials, not Union, but singular.....the back judge.

I rewinded NFHS. Huff got there early in the endzone on the no call pass interference. The Union announcers felt that was the case. At the opposite end, the pass interference call by the same official on Graham that gave Union the extra chance. It was nothing close to pass interference and the Union announcers kind of felt the same. These 2 calls are game changing. Sure, we can pick out the hold or facemask or this or that, but it's about the timing of a flag and where it's thrown and by whom and does it effect or can it greatly effect the outcome?  Those 2 calls were huge and they were blatent in my opinion. Overall, the rest of the officials did a good job. It wasn't a horse collar on Clements. The call was correct. The holding call on Graham at the one late in the first half was 50-50, but kind of legit. It happened on the opposite side of the play, didn't effect the play, but the Graham player literally tackled the kid. That's a hold.

Just my opinions, and the back judge in this game gets an F. The rest of the crew gets a B. There is no such thing as Team A cheating team B. There is also no such thing as the "Officials cheating," as in....the entire crew. That's rare. But, if you think bad apples don't exist, then better check again. As human beings, we have people in every field or profession that largely have good intentions, but we have a few (very few) bad apples in every profession, field, or past time from Doctors to Lawyers to Judges to Plumbers to Nurses to electricians to preachers to husbands and wives that cheat on one another, and all of a sudden, we think that somehow every official in the world undergoes complete moral clarity and 100% morality for the 48 minutes he takes the field to call a game? Naive....brothers....naive.

The timing of the calls but mostly the lateness of the flags really bothered me. When the play is over and players are starting back to the huddle then a flag from the opposite side of the field, and the ref 10 yds away doesn't  then fans have a problem. i believe the fans and the game got to these ref's scared to and not to throw flag. Definitely seemed one sided. but that's how it goes sometimes.
Not enough can be said about Clements ..Elite players make elite plays    Union had not seen him healthy until today

Great season Union. wish we didnt have to play you guys so early in Playoffs,  Would have been a fantastic Finals game

VHSL REGIONAL FINALS

1A

Northumberland 26

Essex 54

1B

Altavista 22

Sussex Central 16

1C

George Wythe 14

Galax 17

1D

Rye Cove 18

Honaker 28

2A

Amelia County 18

Poquoson 57

2B

Riverheads 41

Central Woodstock14

2C

Glenvar 24

Radford 29

2D

Graham 33

Union 24

3A

Lafayette 49

Heritage-Newport News  0

3B

Brentsville District 30

Armstrong/Kennedy 28

3C

Turner Ashby 14

Liberty Christian 63

3D

William Byrd 31

Magna Vista 7

4A

Warhill 13

Phoebus 41

4B

Varina 14

King George 24

4C

John Champe 21

Tuscarora 24

4D

EC Glass 14

Salem 42

5A

Indian River 10

Green Run 7

5B

Warwick 20

Maury 48

5C

Matoaca 42

William Fleming 3

5D

Briar Woods 6

Stone Bridge 29

6A

Manchester 6

Highland Springs 17

6B

Battlefield 7

Freedom Woodbridge 50

6C

Lake Braddock 39

Fairfax 20

6D

Westfield 7

James Madison-Vienna 31

6 hours ago, BearsFan88 said:

A lot of it is judgment. 

They’ve missed some on us. Missed some on Graham. 

What I find funny is how Graham people go whining about horns and then bring their own and blow it when Union is lined up to snap. But I am not complaining. 

Union did it first. 

3 hours ago, Optimal62 said:

Who is the better team of the two in your opinion?

Galax only has 1 single a loss to Grayson County, which was in the regular season. They beat Grayson County in the second round of the playoffs. The other 3 losses come to Region 2C champ Radford, 2C runner up Glenvar, and 2D champ Graham. They should be taken seriously. 

9 minutes ago, Rev833 said:

Galax only has 1 single a loss to Grayson County, which was in the regular season. They beat Grayson County in the second round of the playoffs. The other 3 losses come to Region 2C champ Radford, 2C runner up Glenvar, and 2D champ Graham. They should be taken seriously. 

It's down to a 3 point predicted win by Calpreps after today.  Honaker 31, Galax 28. That score tightened quick. 

Other scores predicted,

Essex 24, Galax 22.

Honaker 33, Essex 31. 

Essex 31, Altavista 24.

1 hour ago, Bluefield researcher said:

Maybe it is already time to move Riverheads up to 3A and let them play Liberty??

If it was based on participation, they would probably be 3A-4a. Seems that every male from 9-12 grades suit up for them!