Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Real Sasquatch

Graham - Bluefield

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Diid somebody at Mercer County's School board meeting really say on camera that 130 kids at Graham tested positive?  Talk about mis-information, wow. 

At that rate, Graham High School should reach herd immunity by the weekend. Once again, I only play a doctor on a sports forum 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

At that rate, Graham High School should reach herd immunity by the weekend. Once again, I only play a doctor on a sports forum 😂

I went back and deleted that, because it sounded so ridiculous, but yeah that's what  I heard on WVVA and I just thought no way.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
38 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

At that rate, Graham High School should reach herd immunity by the weekend. Once again, I only play a doctor on a sports forum 😂

Dangit if WVVA didn't run the story again.  They ran it at 10:00, then again at 11:00.  Does anybody do fact checking anymore? ... good grief.  How hard would it be to pick up a phone and verify this information instead of airing what somebody heard from somebody else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Don't get tested you'll have to quarantine

But then you’re risking people’s lives to try and play a football game. We can’t put a sport over the health of our family, friends and community IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

But then you’re risking people’s lives to try and play a football game. We can’t put a sport over the health of our family, friends and community IMO. 

Agree.  You are absolutely correct.  This was the right decision.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
7 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

But then you’re risking people’s lives to try and play a football game. We can’t put a sport over the health of our family, friends and community IMO. 

look at vdh covid rate yes people are getting covid but deaths are 0.8  per 100,000 and new hosptialization was 23 for the entire state. goes back to if you are a high risk person stay home. if not get out and live your life. yes kids get this but they get pneumonia and the flu at greater rates and we never shut down for that. hell sweden did nothing and stayed open  this whole time and they havent had a covid death in over a month. maybe we should try their way since our way isnt working to well. IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

I get better safe than sorry but Graham seems to overkill quarantine according to current CDC guidelines. They’re wearing masks all day. Is it even face to face contact for more than 15 minutes. I don’t think sitting near someone when both people are masked really constitutes mass quarantine but I’m no expert. If it’s that bad, why isn’t school shutdown at this point? What are the guidelines for Tazewell County? Are they being applied consistently at all schools? Of course, us keyboard warriors aren’t privy to all the details as far as positive tests, etc. I do believe it feels as though since this started last March, we kind of made it up as we go. 

All quarantines are passed down by the Health Department. No Tazewell County schools or school board quarantine any students.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 minutes ago, GDUB said:

look at vdh covid rate yes people are getting covid but deaths are 0.8  per 100,000 and new hosptialization was 23 for the entire state. goes back to if you are a high risk person stay home. if not get out and live your life. yes kids get this but they get pneumonia and the flu at greater rates and we never shut down for that. hell sweden did nothing and stayed open  this whole time and they havent had a covid death in over a month. maybe we should try their way since our way isnt working to well. IMO

Sweden has less people than 9 US states…

That’s an apples to oranges comparison. 
 

And yes, deaths are 0.8 per 100k. But those 0.8 are people. They are dads and moms and brothers and sisters and grandparents and cousins. 
 

I’m not saying shut down again. Im saying that deliberately not getting you or your kid tested because they may have to quarantine is selfishly reckless. And we don’t need that for a game. Some of the players live with high risk people. If you’re sending a kid to school who has it and doesn’t know it because someone didn’t test, you’re risking those people’s lives and they may not be out and about. 
 

We HAVE to stop thinking about “I”, and thinking about “WE.” 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Guys, I got no dog in the fight.  I am admitting I'm selfish and want football.  That's probably not the best approach to take.  But, as far as Sweden goes.  I read an article on them a while back and their take was basically this, the virus is to contagious to stop or rid of by masks or quarantines.  It's simply slowing down the inevitable.  The inevitable is that the virus is going to infect so many people in their country regardless of a quarantine or mask; therefore continue life as usual and reach the Herd Immunity Because the Herd Immunity will be reached Anyway.  It can be done slowly and crippling the economy, or it can be done quicker, and sparing the economy.  At the same time, Sweden has the goal of isolation, protecting, doing everything possible to protect the elderly, so that in their hopes, the 80% they wanted to reach the Herd were mostly non-elderly.  It actually kind of worked.  Their economy was spared.  Many of their elderly never got the virus as they isolated, and a large chunk of their younger people got it early on.  

More than likely, lets say in the Bluefield area, how many adults are going to get vaccinated at this point?  The waiting lines are over.  The access is very easy.  The overwhelming majority of people in Bluefield who have made a choice not to vaccinate likely are going to stick with that choice for the near future.  Based on that choice, why the worry about 10,000 at Mitchell Stadium?  Again, we aren't changing the inevitable.  Whether 3,000 get it at Mitchell Stadium in one night by having the game, or if the game is cancelled, those 3,000 get the virus spread out over a 6 week period, the end is the same result.  Only my take on this thing, but I admit, I am wanting football bad and pretty darn selfish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
18 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Sweden has less people than 9 US states…

That’s an apples to oranges comparison. 
 

And yes, deaths are 0.8 per 100k. But those 0.8 are people. They are dads and moms and brothers and sisters and grandparents and cousins. 
 

I’m not saying shut down again. Im saying that deliberately not getting you or your kid tested because they may have to quarantine is selfishly reckless. And we don’t need that for a game. Some of the players live with high risk people. If you’re sending a kid to school who has it and doesn’t know it because someone didn’t test, you’re risking those people’s lives and they may not be out and about. 
 

We HAVE to stop thinking about “I”, and thinking about “WE.” 

you are wrong with it being apple to oranges research is based on per 100,000 per population not just arbitrary numbers as you would like it to be.  people get sick every day. it started as deaths then hospitalizations and now cases. When do the goal post stop moving? what is your number that you would feel comfortable with pertaining to covid cases, zero? well sorry to say it will never be zero for cases in our lifetime. its virus and virus will virus.  people die everyday of something that could have been prevented more easily that covid. most people who have been dying of covid in America are diabetic and over weight, maybe the government should make it mandatory to lose weight and live a healthier lifestyle while we are at it im yet to hear this.  people know the risk and its their life they should be able to make an informed  and educated decision for themselves. people should stop trying to parent others kids or others in general. if people are worried and scared they should stay home and protect themselves.as for rest we should go out and live. because what we are doing now is not living. why test if no symptoms? their is no therapeutic for this so if sick and not feeling well or showing symptoms  just stay home if breathing becomes an issue then go to hospital. Follow the obama plan when the swine flu happened in 2009 there were 75.000,000 cases. we are just half way there with covid at 38,000,000 he said stop testing its a pandemic. if sick stay home other than that live your life.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

Suggesting Sweden did "nothing" is absurd! Sweden locked its borders to all international travel January 24, 2021. That's anyone entering or leaving the country.

Even still, it's taken an additional 8 months for them to get anything resembling a handle on the pandemic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

We have spent the last 20 years standing shoulder to shoulder fighting a bunch of radicals because they flew planes into buildings and killed over 3k Americans. Today we have over 600k dead Americans because of a virus that was basically unleashed on us and we fight amongst ourselves on a message board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
30 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Suggesting Sweden did "nothing" is absurd! Sweden locked its borders to all international travel January 24, 2021. That's anyone entering or leaving the country.

Even still, it's taken an additional 8 months for them to get anything resembling a handle on the pandemic.  

Yep, Sweden was also very aggressive on social distancing.  Literally in the form of writing tickets equal to 1,000 U.S dollars.  They had a campaign to help the elderly which went about keeping the elderly isolated and safe, but carefully coordinating the help they need for social interaction through technology.  They originally were against masks in Sweden because they felt masks only offered very little protection, but offered some protection, but that masks would maybe give people a false sense of security which would cause them not to social distance.   They put a bunch of work in 6 feet apart up there.   Those folks and police were dead serious on it.   Stay the heck away from each other by 6 feet, but at the same time, go to work, go to school, wear a mask if you want to.  Sweden figured like everybody else they needed 80%.  They wanted their most elderly, most sick, most vulnerable to be in the 20% that didn't get the virus, and wanted to take their chances of a younger, healthier population(the 80%) getting sick early on and likely, surviving from it because they were younger, but reaching the herd population quicker, sparing their economy.  Those folks up in Scandinavia eat some rotten fish and talk weird, but they are innovative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
16 minutes ago, Fairlawncat said:

Yep, Sweden was also very aggressive on social distancing.  Literally in the form of writing tickets equal to 1,000 U.S dollars.  They had a campaign to help the elderly which went about keeping the elderly isolated and safe, but carefully coordinating the help they need for social interaction through technology.  They originally were against masks in Sweden because they felt masks only offered very little protection, but offered some protection, but that masks would maybe give people a false sense of security which would cause them not to social distance.   They put a bunch of work in 6 feet apart up there.   Those folks and police were dead serious on it.   Stay the heck away from each other by 6 feet, but at the same time, go to work, go to school, wear a mask if you want to.  Sweden figured like everybody else they needed 80%.  They wanted their most elderly, most sick, most vulnerable to be in the 20% that didn't get the virus, and wanted to take their chances of a younger, healthier population(the 80%) getting sick early on and likely, surviving from it because they were younger, but reaching the herd population quicker, sparing their economy.  Those folks up in Scandinavia eat some rotten fish and talk weird, but they are innovative.

The problem with comparing the US and Sweden is the population is so different. We have a lot more high risk population than Sweden has ( I say this after eating a Reese’s for breakfast). Also, if you compare Sweden to neighboring countries that did lock down their death rate is something like 5x what Denmark and Finland experienced. It’s not to say one approach is better than the other just food for thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
18 minutes ago, Gfan said:

The problem with comparing the US and Sweden is the population is so different. We have a lot more high risk population than Sweden has ( I say this after eating a Reese’s for breakfast). Also, if you compare Sweden to neighboring countries that did lock down their death rate is something like 5x what Denmark and Finland experienced. It’s not to say one approach is better than the other just food for thought.

Gfan, I agree with you and think that one approach is not necessarily better than the other, and Because one approach is not necessarily better than the other, it's another incentive, more reason to get it over with .  Go on with life, again protecting the elderly, but going on with life and reaching the Herd Immunity quicker instead of prolonging the pain and also important, devastating the economy.  What Sweden did was save thousands of lives that we can't ever measure by not having their economy in shambles.  Economic crisis does kill people slowly, from depression to anxiety to cancers and constant worry and stress.  People die from this.  In our country, we have a problem with short term gain or short term gratification.  We see it in movies where the movie starts with the punchline, then we go back in time to the beginning.  When we have a country that loves short term gratification, it also means we can't tolerate short term discontent even when evidence shows we will get long term gratification. What I'm gettin at is......again, Mitchell Stadium example, 2,000 people contract it at the game, or we cancel the game, and 2,000 people get it slowly over a 4 week period, but at the same time, since we cancelled the game, local businesses take a hit.  Even with the makeup date, alums from across the country aren't making the trip in October for a the makeup data as their kids are in school, so the local economy takes a hit.  This is a micro chasm of Covid in our country.  In my opinion, option one is clearly better.  Play the game on the original date.  When administrators/health department officials go home in the evening after deciding to cancel the Graham vs Bluefield game, some probably "feel good" that they have "protected" the public.  That is a false sense of security.  With this virus, all they did was delay the inevitable.  If 1500 people were going to contract it at the game, then no problem, 1500 people will contract it slowly over a 4 week period.  Same result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
50 minutes ago, GMEN94 said:

Vaccinated or not if you come in contact they are sending you home for quarantine. They're doing the same thing for teachers who are vaccinated. It will be tough to play but lets keep our fingers crossed.

That's crazy on that part.  From that stand point where does it benefit anyone to get the vax?  Who is the one that came up with that policy since that goes against what the CDC says?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
17 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Hopefully Bluefield will get to pick up another opponent on their off week. I'm sure there will be plenty teams available.


Will WV let them play on just 3 days rest?
I could see THIS happening...
Host Graham on Friday then PikeView on Tues., then play @ Tazewell on Sat.   Yeah????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...