Richlands gets 2 new transfers.

local_insight

Many times, families will rent a place in the new schools jurisdiction in order to have an eligible address.  Not always the case, but that's how most of the Hawkins County transfers became eligible at the schools in Scott County in the past.

You mean to tell me this happens at other schools, too? 

I thought Greg Mance invented the idea of transferring in high school...

Scott County does not charge tuition, any student that want's to come to Scott Co. can. You must understand the geography of the area Yuma Elementary School is five minutes from Carter's Valley Road and is closer for every student on the east end of the valley than Carter's Valley Elementary. The parent's don't rent homes for the student's most of them drive them to school or the student drives themselves and sleeps in there own bed, It is no different than the kids in Jasper, or Dryden or even Duffield area that want to go to Union. transfers that come to Scott County schools after the season starts are ineligible for one grading period (used to be six weeks) I don't know now. The last best Tennessee resident Caleb Herron never lived in Virginia but started kindergarten at Weber City, I currently have two nephews and a niece in the Scott County school system who will never live in Virginia, one comes from Rock Springs the other two from Carter's Valley. A student who starts school there isn't a transfer and I don't know of any playing there that is a transfer. I hope I shed some light on this or I just made the water muddier. Scott County will take anybody!

You want me to go screenshot the Facebook post of Hyder's mom showing the keys to their new house?

I'm not on the coaching staff. I don't know the nitty gritty of everything. But this crap is getting old. They're high schoolers. Does agree a 16 year old lives and or plays make or break the lives of this many people??

I just asked a damn question about transfers in general, I have no idea about whoever Richlands brought in. No need to be a jerk about it.

If a kids family moves into the area for reasons other than simply playing football, that's cool. But to uproot your family and move simply for a year of athletics is incredibly baffling to me from a parental side.

It's not Always about Richlands you know, as much as it might pain some of you. This happens at a lot of schools and I always wondered how they managed to get away with it. A kid transferring from Wise to Big Stone or Lee to BSG makes sense, it's a ten minute drive. But a long distance? That's nuts.

I just asked a damn question about transfers in general, I have no idea about whoever Richlands brought in. No need to be a jerk about it.

If a kids family moves into the area for reasons other than simply playing football, that's cool. But to uproot your family and move simply for a year of athletics is incredibly baffling to me from a parental side.

It's not Always about Richlands you know, as much as it might pain some of you. This happens at a lot of schools and I always wondered how they managed to get away with it. A kid transferring from Wise to Big Stone or Lee to BSG makes sense, it's a ten minute drive. But a long distance? That's nuts.

Whatever, bud. You asked a question. I answered the question. You didn't like my response, so you chose to say "I'm not taking shots, but really dude?" You gave me a sassy answer, I gave one back.

The world doesn't revolve around Richlands football. I get that. We sure do enjoy it down here in Tazewell County, but it's not the world. Can you say the same thing about Union? 'Cause I'm pretty sure every time anyone says something negative about Union, you get your panties in a wad and get in a pissing contest, using language that doesn't belong on this forum. 

Take a step back and see what others see, "dude."

SXSW is correct. Scott County does not charge tuition for out of state students.

However, you cannot come to GC after the 9th grade and play sports unless you move to Scott County.

There are a lot of TN kids in the school system. The vast majority of them start in Scott County in kindergarten. My daughters had a few TN kids in their kindergarten classes at Weber City Elementary.

To my knowledge, there are currently no TN kids at GC who came over to play sports. I know of two kids from Daniel Boone who came to play football (because they were kicked out of Boone) in the early 1990's.

Not sure if anyone knows this, but two TN kids did try to come to GC last year to play football. The school would not allow it.

I kind of laugh when I see someone on here post about all the TN kids who come to GC to play sports. Is just not true. Can't do much about rumors however.

Whatever, bud. You asked a question. I answered the question. You didn't like my response, so you chose to say "I'm not taking shots, but really dude?" You gave me a sassy answer, I gave one back.

The world doesn't revolve around Richlands football. I get that. We sure do enjoy it down here in Tazewell County, but it's not the world. Can you say the same thing about Union? 'Cause I'm pretty sure every time anyone says something negative about Union, you get your panties in a wad and get in a pissing contest, using language that doesn't belong on this forum. 

Take a step back and see what others see, "dude."

Whatever you say boss. I found it hard to believe that a family would uproot themselves and move on a whim for any reason other than athletics.

If you actually bothered to read my posts, I was more against parents choosing to do this, not about any school 'recruiting' them.

And I'm pretty sure in the last spat with the poster who liked your diatribe, HE used all sorts of language and stuff but I didnt complain or run to a moderator.

And people keep mentioning how I get so defensive about Union, I just don't see it. I criticize quite a bit, but I will make a remark if I feel like a comment is wrong. It's kinda funny coming from you really, because you handle any shots at Richlands so well :/

I wasn't being snarky about Richlands, YOU took it that way and got defensive then turned around and accused me of being defensive about Union. I'll take a step back and look objectively about my posts on Union when you realize the irony of your post.

Many times, families will rent a place in the new schools jurisdiction in order to have an eligible address.  Not always the case, but that's how most of the Hawkins County transfers became eligible at the schools in Scott County in the past.

Oh man, the Big Red Army and the TN Titan days......

I don't know of a single football player Harry Fry had that transferred just to play football, all his talent was home grown! His teams relied on defense and running the football and those kids learned that in little league. Most Tennessee kids couldn't take the strictness and conformity that was the GC program until a few years ago,

DB was very mediocre during Fry's tenure. DB is the most overrated high school in the State of Tennessee in sports, academics is another issue, but very, very average on a state level in sports.

Poor Hurley, they can't catch a break. Poor schedule, bad attitudes and now fleeing players. What's next an earthquake at the Cliff and it slides away into Kentucky. Honestly I don't know if the fans can take much more.

Don't feel sorry for Hurley because the bad attitudes are going to Richlands. The other 30 kids that are returning next season won't miss the BS.

In todays world every student =$$$, and with that said all wise county schools and scott county would welcome any student that would transfer in ,it wouldn't matter if they played ball or not.Richlands has more than a few transfers but back in the day it was Gate City, along with exchange students for Powell Valley.Does that mean a local kid sits on the bench???yes it does but don't blame a transfer kid for working his nuts off and taking that spot.

I am just awaiting the paperwork on the transfer of JALEN HURD from UT , TO Union , BECAUSE HE HAS HALF A YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL LEFT!!!! I am just wondering when NICK C starts getting kids to come to TAZWELL from Richlands if the opinion of some will change, after all TOM TURNER'S favorite saying was "POWELL VALLEY JUST BEAT US WITH A APPALACHIA KID**THOMAS JONES**)THE JONES DID MOVE LATER TO EAST 3RD NEAR BULLET PARK.

THIS IS NOT MEANT TO OFFEND, JUST TO PROVKE CONVERSATION.....

I am just wondering when NICK C starts getting kids to come to TAZWELL from Richlands if the opinion of some will change,

We'll find out when Mance leaves Richlands...