Holding Kids Back

Mountain Football

this is a funny story, but true. several years ago Powell Valley retired Thomas Jones' jersey, on of the speaker was no other than PHIL ROBBINS, he went on and on about all the things THOMAS JONES had done while in high school and while at the UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA and being a first round draft choice. ROBBINS told THOMAS had done all these things before age 19, he then said just think THOMAS if you would have went to GATE CITY  you would now be a SENIOR!!!LIKE HIM OR NOT THATS SOME FUNNY STUFF THERE.

It's been happening for a long time.  The basketball staff tried to convince my mother to allow my brother to be held back in 7th and again in 8th grade.  My mother refused to allow it and he graduated at 17 and played college basketball.

Steven Peoples also graduated high school at 17.  It has been my experience, the younger kids who grow up having to compete against the older kids are the ones who develop more.  That may not be true across the board for other areas but every kid I know who graduated at 19 didn't become the college star their coaches, administrators and parents thought they would become. 

I AGREE WITH SIXCAT,the local kids who go on to college and the pro's who have not been held back do better.yeah a 18-19 competeing against younger kids in high school do better but then they have to compete against they same age kids in college not so good.at times maybe an injury slows them down and they need to be held back,but the majority need to stay with their class and compete against their age group

I personally don't think that holding back has any advantages in terms of making a kid a better college player. You either are a college player or youre not. It can however make a kid a better high school player; 1 more year of weightlifting, 1 more year in the system, 1 more year of reps, etc. It makes a big difference.

I personally don't think that holding back has any advantages in terms of making a kid a better college player. You either are a college player or youre not. It can however make a kid a better high school player; 1 more year of weightlifting, 1 more year in the system, 1 more year of reps, etc. It makes a big difference.

I agree completely but also feel strongly that younger kids competing against older kids on a regular basis have a much higher ceiling.

Pretty obvious I'm behind times on this one. LOL....I don't think I've ever heard of a kid being held back "so he can be a better saxophone player".  I asked the question because I heard a group of parents are going to hold their kids back so they'll be "older and therefore better in sports".  It got me to thinking about several others here and there over time that's been held back for the same reason.  I'm agree with SIXCAT, beating up on the younger and smaller kids so to speak can't be that productive in the long run.  PLUS......who is paying for these kids to stay in the public school system 1 or 2 extra years?  

Pretty obvious I'm behind times on this one. LOL....I don't think I've ever heard of a kid being held back "so he can be a better saxophone player".  I asked the question because I heard a group of parents are going to hold their kids back so they'll be "older and therefore better in sports".  It got me to thinking about several others here and there over time that's been held back for the same reason.  I'm agree with SIXCAT, beating up on the younger and smaller kids so to speak can't be that productive in the long run.  PLUS......who is paying for these kids to stay in the public school system 1 or 2 extra years?  

It's been a huge deal in Galax in recent years.  I mentioned this a year ago in another thread, my daughter is the youngest 6th grader in the Galax school system and her birthday is in spring.  How is that even possible?  You can't tell me, in a class of 125 kids, not another 6th grader has a birthday between Spring and the September cut-off.

In getting to know other classmates and parents of my daughter, we have come to realize most were held back and/or began kindergarten a year late.  We have yet to hear one parent give any reason other than for athletic advantage. 

The biggest advantage to being held back is probably academically.  I could have started school a year earlier than I did because of my October birthday.  My parents decided against it.  So I was 18 basically my whole senior year.  That made a big difference in my maturity level.  Being 19 as a freshman in college I think made it easier for ME to transition to college life, studies, sports, WEEKEND MIXERS, etc. 

The biggest advantage to being held back is probably academically.  I could have started school a year earlier than I did because of my October birthday.  My parents decided against it.  So I was 18 basically my whole senior year.  That made a big difference in my maturity level.  Being 19 as a freshman in college I think made it easier for ME to transition to college life, studies, sports, WEEKEND MIXERS, etc. 

I could certainly get on board with that rather than for supposed athletic gain.  

The biggest advantage to being held back is probably academically. I could have started school a year earlier than I did because of my October birthday. My parents decided against it. So I was 18 basically my whole senior year. That made a big difference in my maturity level. Being 19 as a freshman in college I think made it easier for ME to transition to college life, studies, sports, WEEKEND MIXERS, etc.

Didn't know you were a fellow Libra.

FWIW, I started early, and was always competitive with my peers from an athletic and academic standpoint. Would never change it, but I see where it may be an issue with some kids. Especially my own, one of whom has a birthday within a few days of my own.

I'm not a fan of holding kids back for athletic purposes.  Eventually, skill overcomes the size and strength advantage gained from holding back.  Many of us have seen younger siblings do very well in sports because they played with the older competitors of big brother/sister.  In my opinion, the best athlete from this area in their respective sport is Coy Craft who plays in the FC Dallas system.  To my knowledge, Coy never played down a day in his life.....in fact, he played up at least 1 age group and sometimes two.  

If a child is held back for academic or social reasons, I'm ok with that decision.  I'll say this, there are hold backs at every school........no one has the market cornered so I don't call out any particular school.

I'm helping w a middle school team and I've got several that should probably play down and 1 that for sure would be very well served to hold back. Big strong strapping kid but he's very young emotionally and socially. Would I ever recommend it? Only if college was in the works after high school, there are some serious academic advantages

At 4 or 5 is the only age where holding back is of any benefit. Anything else I feels stunts their social growth. Kids don't understand why their friends are moving on and they arent even if you do tell them. It's not fair to them.

With regard to the 4-5 year old angle, there are all kinds of factors working behind the scenes.  My youngest son has a November birthday, so technically we "held him back" from starting kindergarten until he was 5 years old (turning 6 that year).  Our primary motivator was that he and my second-oldest are only 19 months old apart in age and we figured a gap year between them would give us a little bit of breathing room if and when they go on to college.

We're also facing the maturity angle at the other end of the spectrum, since our school system is really pushing kids into "Early College" programs with a hard sell.  My oldest is currently a 9th grader, but because of the way the curriculum is structured he already has about 12 credits toward an Advanced Studies diploma.  While we do think that a college education will serve his best interest (and that will probably even include some kind of post-baccalaureate degree), my wife and I don't see much value in dumping him into the work world at a young age with relatively high credentials but no experience.  So we're going to be forced to "pump the brakes" by enrolling him in AP courses his junior and senior years.

The world of education sure has changed a lot in the last 25+ years.  And it continues to evolve.

I am a first week of October bday that started school at 4 and graduated at 17 also.  My football coach asked if I would be interested in the 8th grade but my parents nor I ever really considered it.  There are times I wonder what if as far as how I may have handled college differently had I started it a year older.  In reality it probably wouldnt have made much difference.

With regard to the 4-5 year old angle, there are all kinds of factors working behind the scenes.  My youngest son has a November birthday, so technically we "held him back" from starting kindergarten until he was 5 years old (turning 6 that year).  Our primary motivator was that he and my second-oldest are only 19 months old apart in age and we figured a gap year between them would give us a little bit of breathing room if and when they go on to college.

We're also facing the maturity angle at the other end of the spectrum, since our school system is really pushing kids into "Early College" programs with a hard sell.  My oldest is currently a 9th grader, but because of the way the curriculum is structured he already has about 12 credits toward an Advanced Studies diploma.  While we do think that a college education will serve his best interest (and that will probably even include some kind of post-baccalaureate degree), my wife and I don't see much value in dumping him into the work world at a young age with relatively high credentials but no experience.  So we're going to be forced to "pump the brakes" by enrolling him in AP courses his junior and senior years.

The world of education sure has changed a lot in the last 25+ years.  And it continues to evolve.

Your children are 19 months apart and separated by two grade levels which I find appropriate.  My daughter is in 6th grade with two girls, one 23 months older, the other 20 months older than my daughter.  Neither child should be that far behind other children their age.  Imagine the issues these children are going to have when they can't get into drivers education until they are 17.  And for what, girls basketball or volleyball?

The current Virginia DOE policy cut-off is September 30.  Kids turning 5 on or before that date should be enrolled in kindergarten by DOE regulations.  I understand not all kids are equal but waiting until your child is nearly 7 to begin kindergarten is ridiculous.

Holding back is often viewed as a "sports move" but to the county you cannot just send a letter to them saying "I want ole boy to sling that football for another year and win that state championship". All jokes aside, you have to have a credible excuse to hold back in the middle school ages. Maturity being a big reason for it. 

As cliche as this is, kids today are very different than kids in the 70s/80s as is their education. The high school curriculum has changed so much in the past 30 years that if someone held back in the 70s/80s/early 90s that it was solely for sports. Today, the move is often driven by sports but the thing most people do not see is the academical advantages you can obtain by holding back a year. College credit is literally at the fingertips of a lot of kids today and SUPER cheap! Why not go to college with some extra college credit so your freshmen year is easier than what it normally is? Freshmen year is a learning curve for a lot of students first because of course load and secondly because of so much freedom. The idea of taking college level English and math to get a head and obtain an idea of how strenuous college work is can only be beneficial. Basically the average high school student could take 6 credit hours of college work to gain an understanding of how much work it will be when they get a 15 hour semester in a year or two. Maturity also plays a large part simply due to the fact a 17 year old guy as a freshmen in college is a ton different compared to an 18 year old guy. Say what you will about it "not being very different" but it is. Maybe not growing up in the 70s/80s but the kids today 17-18-19 year old guys seem to go through 180 degree changes year after year. 

Finally, you'd be silly to think Abingdon or Richlands would not want their Qbs for another year (and the same goes for all the great senior athletes). Another year to develop mentally and physically is only beneficial to a high school athlete. Maybe the kid has no desire to play at the next level or maybe they just want to go to a college that will pay for their education, regardless of level? Maybe they just want to be a high school superstar. 

Quincy, some of the best kids ive got spent last weekend in the hay field.

RichlandsAlum,  I was in the same boat. My birthday is late November and I started school when I was 4. I developed fine but honestly my elementary schools days were more or less unhappy for me. I was immature and it showed. Most kids in my grade were 12+ months older than me and I didn't fit in. Long term everything balanced out and by high school I was close to even in maturity with everyone else but truly I didn't mature until I was in my 2nd year of college. I went to SVCC, if I would have went to UVA-W(where I graduated) I wouldn't have made it. Mentally I just wasn't ready. I think an extra year would have helped me tremendously. Now from a football perspective I was as strong as anyone and bigger than most so idk that it really would have helped me that much.

sixcat, waiting until almost 7 is CRAZY. That's doing a great disservice to the child