Ready for Football

Gridiron60

Now that basketball is over , can we just fast forward to football? Not that the spring sports aren’t important just not as much fun as chewing the fat about football. Maybe baseball & softball get interesting but soccer? 😂😂😂😂 

So here’s my question…what’s y’all’s best & worst football memory either as a player and/or spectator? 

1 hour ago, Gridiron60 said:

Now that basketball is over , can we just fast forward to football? Not that the spring sports aren’t important just not as much fun as chewing the fat about football. Maybe baseball & softball get interesting but soccer? 😂😂😂😂 

What the hell are you talking about, man? It's golf season!!!

7 minutes ago, EH31 said:

If you think soccer isn’t interesting then you haven’t attended a match. There is always something interesting going on during SWVA soccer, whether its on the field or in the stands.

I may need to go just to watch the fans. Who was it that played in the M7 when that brawl happened? Was that last year? I remember it being brought up on here. Ridgeview & Union maybe. I’m not sure but there was video, lol! 

19 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I may need to go just to watch the fans. Who was it that played in the M7 when that brawl happened? Was that last year? I remember it being brought up on here. Ridgeview & Union maybe. I’m not sure but there was video, lol! 

Yes, that was last year. Made national news. 

A Graham vs. VA High match last season also was ended early on the recommendation of the Bristol Police Department.

SWVA SOCCER RECIPE

Ingredients

1-22 Unskilled and overly aggressive players

2 Woefully ignorant, yet vocal fan bases

1-2 Obnoxious coaching staffs

1-3 Incompetent officials

Instructions:

Mix thoroughly and place both fan bases on the same side of the field for 90 minutes.

Watch from a safe distance and ENJOY!

21 minutes ago, Liam McPoyle said:

SWVA SOCCER RECIPE

Ingredients

1-22 Unskilled and overly aggressive players

2 Woefully ignorant, yet vocal fan bases

1-2 Obnoxious coaching staffs

1-3 Incompetent officials

Instructions:

Mix thoroughly and place both fan bases on the same side of the field for 90 minutes.

Watch from a safe distance and ENJOY!

This recipe can be made spicy by mixing in one fan base speaking a language the other doesn’t understand. 

5 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Ill just wait for football!

On 3/8/2024 at 7:33 PM, cityofRaven said:

Soccer may the worst waste of resources on the planet.

I saw my first soccer match watching T.J. Rasnick play at Abingdon.  Knew nothing about the sport.  Watching the kids run up and down the field for 90 minutes, wow!!  Just when you thought the Dawgs were getting close to scoring, down the field the ball went with the Falcons.  To be honest, not knowing the game and its nuances, I wasn't a fan of the game.  I wasn't there for the game, I was there to see "my buddy" whose Dad made a special protective covering so T.J. could play this game without injuring his leg after surgery and chemo.   After the game, I got to talk with him and give him a huge hug.  The score didn't matter to me, T.J. efforts and wanting to play, not as  handicapped, but a talented soccer player, such an inspiration!!!

Here are some excerpts from the BDT published June 10, 2009 titled "Fighting On".  

"One year ago, T.J. Rasnick was facing an uncertain future.  He was receiving treatment for Synovial sarcoma, a form of cancer found near his right hamstring.  He missed his junior year on the soccer field with the Tazewell Bulldogs and did not know if he would play again."

On June 9th, T.J. signed a letter of intent to play soccer at Emory & Henry.

"It's just a blessing to be able to stand here and be ready to go to college in the fall."  Even though Rasnick received the diagnosis on March 11, 2008, he never relinquished hope that he would be able to continue his athletic career."

'You just keep your faith in God and you can do anything," he said.  "There's not one day that I changed what I wanted to do or my goals.  It's always been the same. You've just got a never-say-die attitude."  

In his final season, Rasnick reached the 100-goal milestone for his career--despite sitting out his junior season.  He had 24 goals in his final season with Tazewell, playing in just 12 games.  

"If you put your faith in God, you can do anything," he said.  "You just push every day.  You live every day.  You just do everything you can and as long as you keep your faith in God you just keep going."  

"It was never "I can't do this."  It was always, "Nothing's ever changed.  It's always been the same from day one."  

"Just never give up," he said.  "Just keep fighting every day, keep your faith in God and you'll be just fine.  You can do anything." 

I'm thankful my "grandson of the heart" never felt soccer was a waste of resources to him or those whose lives he impacted.