Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
swva_havok_fan

State tournament updates

Recommended Posts

 
7 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I agree.  Even though everyone over on the other board says Luray/Strasburg winner is taking it home this year.

Until the M7 is beat in RVA, they're the favorite.

The superb defense of these M7 teams stifles folks. Both Union and/or GC will be much too physical and tough for their opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Since I live in Massanutten now, I get to watch East Rock, many Bull Run teams and most of the Valley teams. My 2 cents of the 2A remaining teams:

Girls:  Luray and Strasburg are good teams, albeit very different styles and personnel. Neither is state championship caliber IMHO. 
 

Boys:  East Rock is big, shoots lights out and is deep. Nickels is a legit D1 talent. They probably lose to JM Tuesday but I think it will be a much better game than most think. And if it is real close late, I like ERs chances. 
 

Tyce McNair is a heckuva guard/leader. If Evick is on, his range is out to the logo (seriously). 
 

ER doesn’t have a true center though. They have a bunch of 6’5-6’7 guys but they are slim. If JM pounds it inside, the ER party will be over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
52 minutes ago, Bearcat Bob said:

Since I live in Massanutten now, I get to watch East Rock, many Bull Run teams and most of the Valley teams. My 2 cents of the 2A remaining teams:

Girls:  Luray and Strasburg are good teams, albeit very different styles and personnel. Neither is state championship caliber IMHO. 
 

Boys:  East Rock is big, shoots lights out and is deep. Nickels is a legit D1 talent. They probably lose to JM Tuesday but I think it will be a much better game than most think. And if it is real close late, I like ERs chances. 
 

Tyce McNair is a heckuva guard/leader. If Evick is on, his range is out to the logo (seriously). 
 

ER doesn’t have a true center though. They have a bunch of 6’5-6’7 guys but they are slim. If JM pounds it inside, the ER party will be over. 

Were ER pull an upset over JM ..How would either Gate City or Radford match up with them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
19 hours ago, swva_havok_fan said:

I agree.  Even though everyone over on the other board says Luray/Strasburg winner is taking it home this year.

Until the M7 is beat in RVA, they're the favorite.

Love you, buddy, but Gate City would be a massive and prohibitive underdog in Richmond should they survive Radford, and deservedly so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 hours ago, Hokie777 said:

Were ER pull an upset over JM ..How would either Gate City or Radford match up with them?

Wish I could say but I have not seen Radford or Gate City this year. 
 

East Rock runs through Nickel. He is 6’7, handles the ball well, has good range and gets to the rim pretty much at will (so far). 
 

McNair controls their game as the PG. Very quick and physical. More of a drive and dish player than a jump shooter. Great defensive player. 
 

Evick (6’6) sometimes starts but often comes off the bench. His range is really good and apparently has the green light from anywhere. He’s a tough match up on offense but a liability on defense. 
 

The supporting cast seems to know their role. They go 8-9 deep. 
 

Upsetting JM will be a TALL order but I don’t think it is outside the realm of possibility.  JM could also win by 20-25 so who knows?

 

Just from what I read on here and other forums, sounds like Gate City would be the better match up against East Rock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
6 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Love you, buddy, but Gate City would be a massive and prohibitive underdog in Richmond should they survive Radford, and deservedly so.

He’s not talking about the boys, he’s referring to the girls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
33 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

Love you, buddy, but Gate City would be a massive and prohibitive underdog in Richmond should they survive Radford, and deservedly so.

I think he’s talking about girls in Class 2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

I think he’s talking about girls in Class 2. 

Fair enough.  But when you don’t have a dedicated thread for the girls, then this can happen.  FWIW, as imbalanced as the boys’ 2A tourney is in favor of the East, the girls’ tourney is just as strongly in favor of the West.  Some fantastic girls’ athletics on this end of the state.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 3/9/2020 at 8:14 AM, UVAObserver said:

Love you, buddy, but Gate City would be a massive and prohibitive underdog in Richmond should they survive Radford, and deservedly so.

Yes I was talking about girls.  Lol.  I think we've all agreed all year long on the boys side, that everyone is playing for that runner up trophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
11 minutes ago, GMan said:

How pissed is everyone going to be when the VHSL cancels the tournament due to COVID-19 threat??

I would think they would have done it by now.  Do you have any inside information?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
3 hours ago, Widespread_Panic said:

Is this a joke? The VH$L only cares about one thing and player safety isn't at the top of the list. 

HAHAHA obviously so.......the officials they send to these games are going to end up letting a game get out of hand and a kid really hurt.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...