SWVASPORTS.COM

New Buchanan County High School

In tribute to the coal inustry, the 'Powder Monkeys." In tribute to Grundy's rowdy past like many SWVA towns, the "Pistol Whippers," or "Curb Stompers" would be cool as well.

The "Ace and Gary Rolling Thunderball," "Angry Anglicans," "Butchering Baptists," and "Pissed Off Presbyterians" all need to be off the table!

They need something like the Upper Keen Wildcats,  the Big A's of B.C, or the Coal Canyon Miners.  Heck even the Buchanan County Buchs (Bucks).  Who am I to say though.  If it was us here in Scott County we would need something other than the name of a high school already in place.   Something like the Midway Commanders (if it was in the Midway area of the county on Veterans Memorial Highway), or the Moccasin Gap Trailblazers.  All I know is if Buchanan County can consolidate Scott County may not be far behind. Travel time in Scott County is nothing like the mountains of Buchanan...and they aren't even including Council either. 

26 minutes ago, BlueDevil4Life2008 said:

They need something like the Upper Keen Wildcats,  the Big A's of B.C, or the Coal Canyon Miners.  Heck even the Buchanan County Buchs (Bucks).  Who am I to say though.  If it was us here in Scott County we would need something other than the name of a high school already in place.   Something like the Midway Commanders (if it was in the Midway area of the county on Veterans Memorial Highway), or the Moccasin Gap Trailblazers.  All I know is if Buchanan County can consolidate Scott County may not be far behind. Travel time in Scott County is nothing like the mountains of Buchanan...and they aren't even including Council either. 

There are some very good ideas for Scott County in this post, and the Big A's of B.C. is great!

1 hour ago, CPF said:

Been approved. Set to open fall of 2026.

I saw where a member of the BOS from Hurley said it wouldn't happen and they were going to take it to court. Does the BOS have a leg to stand on? I've just been reading about it from afar and have very little knowledge of the whole situation.

Buchanan County moves ahead with high school consolidation plan set for 2026 completion

by Ashley Hoak

Mon, May 20th 2024 at 5:10 PM
Updated Tue, May 21st 2024 at 8:40 AM
UserWay icon for accessibility widget
Buchanan County moves ahead with high school consolidation plan set for 2026 completion (WCYB Photo){ }{p}{/p}

0 seconds of 2 minutes, 49 secondsVolume 90%

Buchanan County moves ahead with high school consolidation plan set for 2026 completion (WCYB Photo)

Facebook Share IconTwitter Share IconEmail Share Icon
Comment bubble

BUCHANAN COUNTY, Va. (WCYB) — The plan to consolidate three high schools in Buchanan County is moving forward.

Grundy High School, Hurley High School and Twin Valley High School -- are slated to be consolidated to the new Buchanan County High School.

"It's been a long time coming," said Angie McClanahan, chairperson of the Buchanan County Public School Board and representing the North Grundy District. "We started this process in 2018, and to have this milestone accomplished so that we can move forward and hopefully be able to break ground this summer -- hopefully we are on track to get our school open in the fall of 2026."

Buchanan County moves ahead with high school consolidation plan set for 2026 completion (WCYB Photo)

The U.S. Army Corp of Engineers formally agreed to contribute more than $92 million for the design and construction of the school -- to be built in the Southern Gap area of Buchanan County.

Senators Tim Kaine and Mark Warner told News 5 in a statement:

AI for employee successOracle
Read the ebook

“We are gratified that the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers has finalized their support of the Buchanan County Consolidation Project. We were glad to go to bat for this project because this consolidated high school will bring state-of the art facilities to Buchanan County, ensuring our students receive the best possible education. Time is of the essence, and we are pleased that this funding will help get this critical project underway.”

When complete, the new school is expected to include numerous opportunities for students.

"We are able to offer some state-of-the-art facilities for our children," said McClanahan. "Our current high schools are very old and I'm very excited to be able to offer new technology and new opportunities for our children."

With feedback on the new school mixed.

"I've heard good and bad," said McClanahan. "There are many, many people in all districts that are ready for the new school and are wanting the new school. There are many that have also opposed this -- consolidation is hard, and I completely understand that."

News 5 asked: "What are some of the concerns that maybe you are hearing from people that you represent in your district?"

"They are building a school at Poplar Gap, not centrally located. The kids in Hurley and Twin Valley are getting messed over," answered Tommy Blankenship, a Buchanan County School Board member representing the Knox District. "Consolidation -- we knew it was coming, we just don't like the location. It's forcing our kids to come over two mountains, bad roads, and that's where it stands right now."

A concerned Hurley parent told News 5 off camera that she is worried about the travel and that transportation could become costly.

"It's going to be an hour and 40 minutes," said Blankenship. "The thing about it is, this consolidation, I think we are going to lose kids. There's kids at Hurley that are closer to Kentucky schools or closer to West Virginia schools then they are to Poplar Gap."

As for why some board members say this particular location was chosen.

"This place was going to be the most ready and accessible," said McClanahan. "It had lines, it had wiring -- everything is ready, the grade work was ready."

And hopeful the new school will prepare students for their futures.

"We are very honored to be able to play a small part in such a big life changing event for Buchanan County," said McClanahan. "This is history, I feel like."

The district is also asking for input to name the new consolidated school, mascot and colors.

To share your thoughts -- click the post below.

52 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Council as well I presume as Council is also in Buchanan County. Council is a non football playing school. That should be a total of 4 schools

Council is not involved in the consolidation 

2 hours ago, breckt said:

I saw where a member of the BOS from Hurley said it wouldn't happen and they were going to take it to court. Does the BOS have a leg to stand on? I've just been reading about it from afar and have very little knowledge of the whole situation.

BOS has zero input on school board decisions. Absolutely none. Went through this in Wise Co. Several BOS members and members of the public left the courthouse with egg on their face.

8 hours ago, CPF said:

Council is not involved in the consolidation 

Wow I don't think I've heard of a school called something "County" and not be be the only public school in the county. Usually, a school that gets the name "County" added to it is the only public High School in that county. 

3 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Wow I don't think I've heard of a school called something "County" and not be be the only public school in the county. Usually, a school that gets the name "County" added to it is the only public High School in that county. 

Nicholas County WV in Summersville. Yet there is a school in Richwood way on the other side of the county.

Loudoun County VA. There are now at least 13 other schools in the County. At one time there were three high schools in Loudoun County. Then in 1954 at the height of the baby boom they consolidated to form Loudoun County High in Leesburg. It wasn't long before this mistake became apparent as Loudoun Valley was built in the early 60s'. Broad Run in 1969 and so on. But Loudoun County High kept its name.

Culpeper County. At one time the only school in the county but now there is Eastern View also in Culpeper.